Will Longhorn change the gaming industry?

Started by
38 comments, last by wyrd 20 years, 4 months ago
I would say managed languages will gain lots of importance in the game industry in the future... but for now these languages can be really helpfull In creating, for example, game tools, exporters, model viewers, etc... (it helped me! )
"Through me the road to the city of desolation,Through me the road to sorrows diuturnal,Through me the road among the lost creation."
Advertisement
Man, this is exactly what''s wrong with the computer industry .

CPU''s have been doubling speed every 18 months, yet we make the OS/apps slower and slower each time, so it practically negates the speed gains. Lets make a programmers job slightly easier, and kill performance another 15-20%, and nobody even seems to care anymore. We need MORE efficiency, not less.

"Hey, we''re lazy, why write a bit more code when we can just buy a faster machine, and expect everyone else to do the same?"
quote:Original post by rohde
You know what? That is a good point. Really. I just can''t for the life of me see game dev on the console using managed code, but you are absolutely true, never say never.
Don''t quote me on this, but I believe I''ve heard that future versions of X-Box will run a derivative of Managed Direct-X (just like it does now for regular dx). I don''t see any reason why they won''t have the managed environment on there in the future.

Joel Martinez
http://www.codecube.net/
Joel Martinez
http://codecube.net
[twitter]joelmartinez[/twitter]
quote:CPU''s have been doubling speed every 18 months, yet we make the OS/apps slower and slower each time, so it practically negates the speed gains. Lets make a programmers job slightly easier, and kill performance another 15-20%, and nobody even seems to care anymore. We need MORE efficiency, not less.

Do you not realize that the performance loss is usually a gain in stability? I''m sure people still complain about Windows XP''s stability, but compared to Windows 95, it almost seems rock solid. Why? Partially because they''ve been using better coding practices and development tools that may be a bit less efficient, but more reliable. I personally am more than willing to upgrade my computer every year or two in order to run new software at the same speed as the old software. It''s almost always better from an ease-of-use and reliability standpoint, and that is welcome progress indeed.
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
I personally am more than willing to upgrade my computer every year or two in order to run new software at the same speed as the old software.

Wow, you are rich. Care to share some of that wealth?

Kami no Itte ga ore ni zettai naru!
神はサイコロを振らない!
quote:Original post by The Orange Peanut
Its comments like that that make me wish AP posting was turned off.

I disagree, I am a very big believer in the "tao" of programming, lol

Of course, I'm going to be starting an electronics minor in college here pretty quick, so I'm a bit biased.

EDIT:

Not to you, Peanut, but to the people who keep throwing around "Micro$$oft" or "$$$$" or "M$".. That may be a way to tickle the slashdot crowd, but it typically doesn't work well on Gamedev...

daveandrews.org - a Christian Programmer's Weblog | Dusty Engine - a task engine using Irrlicht | Computer Guys Run the World
How to be a Programmer

[edited by - Ronin Magus on December 17, 2003 2:44:50 PM]
quote:Original post by tangentz
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
I personally am more than willing to upgrade my computer every year or two in order to run new software at the same speed as the old software.

Wow, you are rich. Care to share some of that wealth?

Which is the key point really, personaly i''m lucky enuff to have a large enuff income and virtualy no expenses so that i can keep upto date with hardware, but alot of people cant, they buy a computer and expect it to last 5 years or something like that. (I know of people, both personaly and via the net which run win98 and IE5.5 which, despite being old and outdated, have no intention of updating anything because ''it does them'').

Every year the specs for software goes up and most people see it as the developers being lazy and not bothering to code properly and just being wastefull.
Systems which are more stable is a lovely idea, however I feel that the general public needs better education as to why they are being asked to part with such large sums of cash and what gains they can expect.

Hmm, from what I've read, you probally won't be able to use your game once TCPA is being used by everyone, unless you got alot of $$$. LongHorn has already intergrated a TCPA program, which can't be start ('caus you don't have the right hardware!)

Longhorn, or the OS after that by M$ will ruin the freedom the computer gave you! Read it all at: AGAINST TCPA

Someone said something like "Why target Linux users?" Well that's fairly easy, once the TCPA has been approved by Bush (which he probally will) People will have to pay ALOT of money for computer soft & hardware. So they will use aonther kind of OS, and that will most likely will Linux (Winoze XP will be too old by then) There are alot of Linux users all ready, but not alot of 'real' games especially for Linux, so it's not so hard to make a good game, simple because there are no others

I use Linux alot now, got 3 distros installed and I like all of em. Take my piece of advice and switch to Linux before everyone else does and make there big hits. Or just take a platform independent language *COUGH*JAVA*COUGH*

Just my 2 cents
Wesley

[edited by - wicked_wesley on December 17, 2003 3:23:33 PM]
Have a nice dayWesley
Wow, that is some scary info regarding the TCPA.

Why is it that we, as consumers, are being forced into being corporate slaves?

quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Wow, that is some scary info regarding the TCPA.

Why is it that we, as consumers, are being forced into being corporate slaves?

We''re not being ''forced'' to do anything. We do it willingly, one way or another.

James Simmons
MindEngine Development
http://medev.sourceforge.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement