Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Macintosh Games

This topic is 5110 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I''ve been programming windows games and I want to start developing macintosh games also, using OpenGL). Should I use cocoa or carbon? Or is there another? What are other macintosh games generally programmed in? From reading things online, it looks like carbon only will work on MacOsX, which is a problem since people still use regular MacOs (I think). Anyway, any information you can dump is much appreciated. Thanks in advance. -Billy

Carbon is a ''crossover'' api that you can use in both OSX and previous OSs. Theoretically, if you code your game using carbon, it will run in both X and 9.

If you only want to target X, you can use cocoa. I haven''t used it yet, but I hear it''s easier to develop in cocoa than carbon. But you''re right that a lot of people are still using pre-X OSs. However, a lot of newer games (Unreal 2003, for example) only target X.

There''s a site devoted to mac game programming called idevgames.com that you might check out (although I just went there and it wasn''t responding...)

There''s also a book called ''Mac Game Programming'', by Mark Szymczyk. It''s content is a little dated (early carbon, no cocoa), but it''s a good introduction to programming on the Mac, if you don''t have any experience with it.

Another important resource is the developer section of the apple website, which has loads of documentation, and even source code examples specific to games.

If you have any other specific questions, ask and I or someone else may be able to help. I''m no expert, but I''m currently developing a game on the Mac using carbon, so I do have some knowledge of the topic.

Good luck...

I''d recommend going with Cocoa, or possibly even using a cross-platform foundation layer like SDL. Setting up OpenGL under SDL is easy, and to port stuff from PC to Mac when you''ve used SDL is extremely easy - I recently did a port of Enginuity from PC to Mac, which took about 4 hours: 3 hours were spent fixing syntax errors in the code which MSVC had let me get away with but GCC wasn''t being so lenient on, and 1 hour was spent finding out why it wouldn''t launch (it turned out I was requesting a screen mode the machine didn''t support).

But yeah.. if you''re planning on just doing regular apps for Mac with windowed support, I''d suggest going for Cocoa. The methodologies are a little different - and, as I found the hard way, so is the user mindset (free tip: don''t require your user to install anything, put all the support libraries and stuff inside your application bundle, so they can just mount the disk image and run) - but it''s not too hard to learn.

Richard "Superpig" Fine
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.
Enginuity1 | Enginuity2 | Enginuity3 | Enginuity4 | Enginuity5
ry. .ibu cy. .y''ybu. .abu ry. dy. "sy. .ubu py. .ebu ry. py. .ibu gy." fy. .ibu ny. .ebu
"Don''t document your code; code your documentation." -me
"I''m not a complete idiot; parts of me are missing." -}}i{{