Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Large Objects -- Multiple Tiles Or Really Tall Sprites?

This topic is 5113 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I''ve been curious about something with my tile-based and isometric engines. The Isometric Game Programming book hasn''t been of too much help (or atleast nothing I could see in the book). Anyways... How are things like houses handled? Are they multiple tiles to give the psuedo look of height or are they just really tall sprites laid down on a specific row of tiles.. * = Top of House, X = Bottom Of House (Where Tile Begins) **** XXXX Do you just lay really tall sprites across the X to reach the top of * or do you cut the sprites in-half and then lay down 2 rows of sprites? Just always been curious =)

Guest Anonymous Poster
You can do both. Xcom set it up, that everthing was a tile, or object on a tile. Diablo uses realy big sprites.

But at lleast in X-com you can shoot the walls down.

yah, it can be done both ways

it''s sort of a balence between what you want and how complex it is.

for instance having an object made out of induvidual column pieces is easy to make work with the engine but a pain to make and place (unless you have somthing that can do it easily)

making a house as a large single object is nice and easy to make but when using a 2D Isometric engine *somthing truly 2D without a perpixel z buffer and using 3D object* it can cause lots of overdraw problems, lukily when i ran into this problem i got some help, if you plan to do a single large object and are wondering how your map has to be drawn so that everything comes out right let me know and i will explain the basic concept.

Raymond Jacobs,

www.EDIGames.com

www.EtherealDarkness.com

(GroZZleR -- hope i''m not butting in here, but...)

please do explain! I''m in the middle of investigating the different ways of doing this as well, and would like to hear your thoughts / information!

thanks

quote:
Original post by EDI
if you plan to do a single large object and are wondering how your map has to be drawn so that everything comes out right let me know and i will explain the basic concept.

I''m curious too.

Now a question: why not having a large image of the object, with a few extra info -> rectangles that should be drawn on the screen. To make it a bit more clear: here''s the big house (iso objects text-only viewer (c) )

+------------------+
+------------------+
+AA----------------+
+AA----------------+
+AA----------------+
+AA--BBBB----------+
+AABBCCCCBBAA------+
+BBAACCCCAABB------+
+BBCCAAAACCBB------+
+AACCCCCCCCAA------+
+--AACCCCAA--------+
+----AAAA----------+

Then you cut what you don''t need (i.e. the ''-''s) as much as possible, by storing the squares which you need (market with ''x''es). You need a tool for this, but works just fine.

+------------------+
+------------------+
+00----------------+
+00----------------+
+00----------------+
+00--3333----------+
+111111111111------+
+111111111111------+
+111111111111------+
+111111111111------+
+--22222222--------+
+--22222222--------+

Ok, so now you have 4 rectangles for that building, covering just 4 unnecessary pixels. You can choose another layout, of course, but I don''t think you can go lower that that one. You can create the rectangles by hand, or use a (dynamic(?)) algorithm for that.

Plus, you can juggle between precision (you don''t want too many unnecessary pixels drawn) and efficiency (you can''t call too many times the blitter).

A

Just a thought, if you use ''really big sprites'' you can easily
have your characters walk behind the tops of buildings (I think this happens in Ultima 7 and Pokemon GBA games ???) by setting the object flags to either UNDER or OVER and having your drawing engine use an ''order of precedence'' method for drawing i.e. background tiles get drawn first (as they are always behind everything else), then maybe NPC''s and PC''s and then any object marked OVER - such as houses or trees or signs which will always obscure other objects.