Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2D game graphics

This topic is 5114 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m gonna start experimenting with DirecX soon, toward creating a 2D platformer. What are the common DX rendering setups used for 2D games? I could write directly to video memory using my custom libraries. Mono-planar D3D rendering. Or using the primitive sprite functions that come with DX. What do you think?

Personally, I''d write my own 2d engine for D3D. While the D3DXSprite stuff is supposedly a lot more useful in the summer update, there are still some optimizations you could do to make it a bit faster if you did it by hand.

Microsoft''s ditching DDraw, and besides you get all kinds of nifty things for virtually free like hardware scaling/rotation with bilinear/anisotropic filtering, plus alpha-map aware sprites. (No more black-edged sprites!)

Plus, with care, you could mix 3d effects with 2d to achieve an extra-detailed or flashy look.

Of course, you''ve also just bumped the requirements of your engine up. But most systems within the last 3 years have at least a crappy Intel integrated 2d/3d video card.

---
[[ Gaping Wolf Software ]]