• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MessageBox

OpenGL OpenGL current version

This topic is 5327 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What is the version of OpenGL supported by the latest 3D cards. What do these cards use for pixel shading? OpenGL shading language or extensions such as ARB_fragment program.

Advertisement
ATI drivers currently support OpenGL 1.4 plus about 50% of new OpenGL 1.5 functionality. The shading language is not yet supported, so that leaves ARB_fragment_program. I''m not sure about the status of Nvidia drivers, but it would appear that they are in a similar state.

The shading languages are not part of any current OpenGL specification. They remain extensions to the spec and not yet part of the core functionality. Perhaps with OpenGL 2.0 this will change.

I''m sure NVidia drivers have at least all of OpenGL 1.4 supported. The functionality for 1.5 should be all there, too, if not the specific ARB versions of the extensions. All that ATI''s missing from 1.5 is EXT_shadow_funcs.

ATI supports GLslang in their latest drivers -- not the official ones, but their hotfix for Call of Duty. Last I heard, NVidia has yet to provide the same support, but their GeforceFX series of video cards are certainly capable of it. ARB_vertex_program and ARB_fragment_program are not part of GLslang and GLslang does not depend on them (though if a video card supports them, it can definitely support GLslang). They are the assembler-like shading languages equivalent to DirectX 9.0's version 2.0 shaders.

[edited by - Ostsol on December 15, 2003 3:23:46 PM]

GL_Slang is:
GL_ARB_shader_objects
GL_ARB_vertex_shader
GL_ARB_fragment_shader
GL_ARB_shading_language_100

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!