Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Visual Basic - Creating Objects during runtime

This topic is 5112 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just looking for documentation on this. I''m working on a quick little game, and i''ve got a class that holds the data for items that appear in the game. No problem. I can create the items with code. What i need is to understand how to do that during run time. Thanks.

Maybe I''m misunderstanding, or misrepresenting what I mean, but that''s to create one from code, before runtime.

I need to be able to run the program, then spawn objects based on that class, modify it, delete it, etc.

Thanks!

Fair enough.

Let's say I have a class. "Monsters". This class has various properties of it that have no bearing on this exercise. For example, were I making a RPG type of a game, and want to have Monsters spawn in the game, and remove them when they die.

I can easily set up monsters BEFORE the game runs, in code, using :

Set newMonster = New myClass

However, I need to be able to spawn instances of that class *during* runtime, to simulate monsters created on the fly.
This way, once the game is running, i'm not limited to only monsters I created before I compiled, but can dynamically create and track these news instances of the class, modify them, then remove them from the collection when it's all over.

Thanks!

[EDIT]

It appears that I got it. Looks like VB tracks everything for me, so I can do it just fine.. Thanks for the help, all!

[edited by - Mortanis on December 15, 2003 7:17:55 PM]

dim monsters as collection
dim monster as Monster

set monsters = new collection
set monster = new Monster

monsters.add monster

monsters(0).Move...

etc..

You can create Monsters in run-time the same way you do in compile time on a trigger/event.

Keep the monster references (object pointers) in a collection where you can re-reference them during your game. Then at the end of the game delete the objects in the collection.

-Viktor