Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

QB Guy has a question.

This topic is 5116 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey whaddya know, its not 1986 anymore, but I am master of all that is Qbasic (Self proclaimed, of course) I love the simplicity if it, the whole idea of being able to get an idea for an algorithm into the computer and running in minutes is a beautiful thing. And then there''s DirectQB. A blessing indeed. But Qbasic is old and crappy. And C++, with all its fancy structure and threading is very puzzling. So neither one fulfills my needs. I''ve bought: Visual C++ 6 for Dummies Learn C++ in 21 days Problem Solving, Abstraction, Design Using C++ Introduction to Programming The Powerful Mix - C Compiler And they all do the same thing: explain how to make "Hello World" work and then get into either weird and complicated or just plain boring concepts. My question is this: Is C++ really the best language to START with? It''s definately a steep learning curve. How did you all do it? Hold your tongue, and you won''''t lose your voice.

Patience. If you want to learn C++ to a degree that allows you to create useful Windows apps/games, give yourself at least a year. You also have way too many books. One good C++ book (search the forums for multiple threads on this topic) should last you a good long while. Go through it slowly.

BetaShare - Run Your Beta Right!

<< My question is this: Is C++ really the best language to START with? It''s definately a steep learning curve. How did you all do it? >>

I don''t think its the best language to start with. Basic (any flavor) is probably easier. In my opinion, there isn''t much difference between C and Basic since each uses variables, each uses loops, each uses IF statements or conditionals, each uses functions. You just have to learn the syntax of whatever language. They''re all pretty much the same.

If you insist on using object oriented C++ classes and pointers right away, then yeah there are some differences. Otherwise not much difference in my opinion between C and Basic of whatever flavor. I think procedurally rather than OO so maybe that''s why.

Phil P

Guest Anonymous Poster
in my opion qbasic and c++ only have one major difference

qbasic runs on dos c++ doesn''t

if you looked at c++ compilers that are only for dos they are almost as easy to learn as qbasic

so take it slow if you want to go anywhere and learn everything in order.

take your time.