Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Model questions

This topic is 5113 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just got two modeling questions First, did you write your own model class? At first I used a modeling class from a tutorial I found but now that I look at it it doesn''t seem too complex. The only reason why I wouldn''t want to make my own class is because I don''t look forward to learning all the specific formats (like .ms3d, .md2, .md3, etc.) but I''m sure I could do it for whatever I''m working with. Second, how do you deal with the size of your models? Do you (or your modeler) keep the units directly in scale with game units or do you just scale down the model''s size before you draw it? I''m asking because I found myself using units where one tile in my game is .1f wide (maybe I should rethink that ) Thanks in advance.

i used to use other peoples loaders such as on nehe''s site, or gametutorials. but in the last week or so i made my own Milkshape 3D ASCII (.txt) loader. it was really easy to do. You can find the information you need at the milkshape website in their sdk. so far it loads static/animated models, however i haven''t quite finished the animated rendering part... otherwise it works really well for static models. I should get the animation working soon enough (just gotta stop going out for beers instead of coding... nasty habit that is). i''m just having a little problem with the keyframes at whatnot.. but that''s my problem, i''m sure i''ll get it soon.

as for the size, well so far I''ve only used my loader to load nodes/tiles (such as in dungeon siege) into my graphics engine/editor, so basically i''m making my models small enough in milkshape that i don''t have to scale them in my engine, because i''m have this feeling that scaling will just make my collision detection and that sort of stuff more difficult later on.

anyways, i hope i was some help, but i would recommend looking into the milkshape ascii format. it''s really simple to do, and i can share what i''ve got (which i have recently) with ya.

take it easy,
Scott

quote:
Original post by wojtos i''m making my models small enough in milkshape that i don''t have to scale them in my engine, because i''m have this feeling that scaling will just make my collision detection and that sort of stuff more difficult later on.

Wow I hadn''t even thought of that. I think I probably should avoid scaling everything because I''ll just mess myself up somewhere knowing me.

I''ll look into that ASCII stuff, too.

Thanks.