Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bloodshed Dev-C++

This topic is 5110 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I recently got this compiler, but whenever I try to "Compile and Execute" nothing happens. I try Execute afterwards but it says it must be compiled, I compile it and it still says it needs to be compiled. After I''ve tried "Compile and Execute" the following message appears at the bottom of the Compiler 2 C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Thomas\C++\Dev-Cpp\2 unable to run program file. Any help?

Last time I used Dev-C++ (a while ago), it didn''t like file pathes with spaces in them. That is, it treats "C:\Document" "and" "Settings\Owner\My" "Documents\Thomas\C++\Dev-Cpp\" as 4 separate command-line arguments passed to g++.

I partially used the bloodshed compiler for my two programming classes. To be honest it was a pest, I had to go and buy the Visual C++.net in order to complete many assighnments and yet later on, it was bloodshed that worked on some assighnments and not Visual C++.net.

"Always Be Thinking"

Dev C++ is a very nice IDE IMHO (for free), and its compiler (a gcc variant) is also very good... and exhibits no major bugs, unlike the several class templating issues in VS.net. In fact, in its latest incarnations, it can even import you VC projects directly, and many compile with no alterations (but not MFC ones). VS.net''s managed C++ facilities are however excellent and leave Dev C++ dead in the water. For a beginner, in general... I would say that Dev C++ is more than good enough for most tasks... and if you download the appropriate packages (from the update wizard) is fine for Win32, OpenGL and D3D work (compiles the examples from the SDK with no problems). Put it this way... Dev C++ (as an IDE) provides a more straightforward approach for most people that creating make files them selves and working with at the command prompt all the time. Its editting facilities and class browser are also very handy... as is the built in debugger, and code profiler. I say "why look a gift horse in the mouth?" if its free, and it works fine for what you want... why spend your hard earned cash on VS.net (not that I''m saying it doesn''t have its strong points)?

Guest Anonymous Poster
I would take the previous poster''s suggestion about the spaces in the path. I use MSYS with MinGW and had problems. After I changed to a directory without spaces it worked fine.