Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone seen the movie Equilibrium?

This topic is 5111 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Anyone seen the movie Equilibrium? its got some really good fighting scenes and gun scenes. They have like a martial arts of using guns. basically you have a view over the head and you aim the gun with the mouse, and if the person is behind you, or left of you, you dont turn to shoot you reach over and shoot like in the movie

I''ll admit that me and my team were quite impressed about the Gun Katas in the movie. If you watch the DVD w/commentary, it talks about it in a little more detail. We''re actually thinking about (trying) to include it or a look-alike in an RPG we''re producing.

It''s reasonably simple as an idea, but it''s use in an action game or FPS would be highly redundant. (Hence the reason we''re applying it in a turnbased, RPG context.) If you''ve got ideas on making a full featured game out of it, be forewarned - It''ll likely be awkward.

I think it would be better applied to a real-time action game that allows you to target multiple opponents simultaneously. That way, you could run through the room mashing the "fire" button and your John Preston clone would whack the bad guys.

Of course, as with all video game martial arts, it would be most impressive if applied by an AI hands-off battle system. But we haven''t really come up with a valid way to do that yet.

Great Movie. Rather then 20 minute keanu reeves action sequences, we get to see a 3 second katana fight.

If you know, Equillibrium''s Gunfu, Gunkai, Gunstuff was more about statistics for dodging bullets and eliminating opponents. If you focus on a bullet dodging system with funky animations, and have a multi-target lock on, you''d definately get the same effect.

Though, I''m still holding out for game developers to try and touch the same kind of action Face/Off had before we can expect some equillibrium 6-opponents-at-once-pistol-whipping.

Equilibrium ruled. We watched it last year in English class and then wrote an essay on it as our final exam . The special effects were great, they were used with care and not splattered on everything possible.

i also think realtime would be better. You just target people with the mouse and shoot, so you have to be fast....
while the game does all the movements for you depending on your direction and the target direction.

Does anyone know if the movie came out in australia at the cinemas? i never saw it there.

Being an Aussie sci-fi geek... I can tell you that Equilibrium was on at my local cinema, but I''m not sure about Village or any of the big ones. I never got the chance to see it on the big screen though, it was on for ~1 week or so.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I worked on a game that was a license to a really big action film that came out this year, unfortunately the game was cancelled.

Equillibrium came out near the beginning of the design phase, me and a programmer sat down and worked out tons of ideas of trying to work in gun katas and other stuff. Devil May Cry 2 trailers were coming out around this time too, and we thought we had been beaten to the punch.

There are a lot of ways to work in some cool over the top animations into fighting like they did.

quote:
Original post by Raloth
Equilibrium ruled. We watched it last year in English class and then wrote an essay on it as our final exam . The special effects were great, they were used with care and not splattered on everything possible.

what?....equilibrium for english class??....can i join your school?

ap, actually now that i think about it a bit more, even though you could make most of the movements standard, there are a few variables that you'd need to change for the fighting, eg turning head, body, legs.. aiming pistols style, where to put arms so they dont go through the body.

so you'd have to really work it out well

[edited by - johnnyBravo on December 16, 2003 4:12:41 AM]

General suckiness of the film aside (biggest 1984 rip EVER), the fighting style is too quick for real time. You will have to have it done by an AI turn based style. Even then, the animation questions would be interesting. You could take a ragdoll approach perhaps?

i dont think it'll be too fast.

the whole idea of it is being skilled, so you would be clicking the targets as fast as possible as accurate as possible,

so you get better at it, while you have the game automatically doing all the cool moves

zarthrag, if i even do think of doing this style, it would just be the cool gun movements that id use,

an idea with the two different targets you could have the alternate fire button shoot one at target, and one in opposite direction

::actually even if im not able to do this, i still can use the engine for the more tradiational way.

[edited by - johnnyBravo on December 16, 2003 5:22:56 AM]

I think it would be best left to an AI to handle the details.
The player just clicks on all the simlitanious opponets they want to attack and then moves with the keyboard. The AI would then attempt to dodge and shoot those targets while you move.

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

quote:
Original post by Syphoon
General suckiness of the film aside (biggest 1984 rip EVER)

LOL
You will notice that you are the ONLY poster to mention 1984 ? And what about Fahrenheit 451 ?
And being inspired by classics and giving the chance to a modern and younger audience to rediscover them is, in your book, a factor that increase suckiness ???

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !

Johnnybravo:

You’re thinking of the ‘Newspeak’ that was invented in the book. In that, the party stripped out as many words as possible—leaving everything to compound forms like ‘doubleplus ungood’ to prevent people from committing thoughtcrime.

Excellent book.

"War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength."
That was the motto of the 1984 regime. If you look at Equilibrium, you ll see that the regime is built upon the necessity to eradicate emotions because they engender War.
Both regime punish thought crimes, in a way, but for different reasons.
I think Demolition Man is closer to Equilibrium, if you want to see inspirational work. I know it''s Stallone, but it''s certainly one of his best movies. And a very good (IMHO) sci-fi setting.

Equilibrium was like The Matrix, except it pulled out all the uppity references to Eastern philosophy and various religions and replaced them with the dystopian visions of Orwell, Bradbury and Huxley.

Reviewers, in their never-ending quest to seem super-educated and blase about everything, criticised the film for its overt references and tributes, while praising the Matrix trilogy for its vague, tenuous connections to hippie religions and unconventional philosophy.

Watching Equilibrium, you get to say, "Sweet, that''s totally from 1984/Fahrenheit 451/Brave New World", and then your buddy says, "I bet this guy is going to rock the system!" And then you both turn back just in time to see Christian Bale shoot the crap out of something.

Watching The Matrix, you get to say, "Hm, hm, hm. Her name is Persephone," and then turn to the guy in the next seat and explain, "In Greek mythology, Persephone is the unwilling queen of Hades, lord of the underworld and brother of Zeus. With my gigantic brain and encyclopedic knowledge of all human art and excellence, I can anticipate that she will assist the protagonist and express a longing for genuine human warmth and emotion, while being defiant toward her husband," and then watch your neighbor punch you in your hyperintelligent nose.

Since movie critics don''t sit next to people at screenings, they don''t get this experience, and so can''t see the obvious superiority of Equilibrium. Jerks.

And with regard to animating it, it seemed from the dojo scene that there were a finite number of stances/positions used. If you formalized it, it would really only take a dozen or so poses to cover every possible combination of firing angles. Elevation could be adjusted indefinitely, and each "pose" could cover 20 degrees or so of the windage. So if each arm was posed independently, with safeguards to preclude arm-through-arm clipping, you could conceivably have your Cleric free-style his way through the fight. It would take some serious work, but if the movie was any indication, the visual payoff is well worth it.

Tribute to Orwell and others it may have been, but it had a happy ending! That was completely contrary to the feeling of doom Orwell left you with that an emplaced totalitarian system could have. But the movie turns that on its head with one man and a couple of pistols, who kills the bad guy in a fast sword fight. By contrast, the hero ends up a broken man, broken under the threat of having rats eating his face, and later being executed. It was this Hollywood redoing that irked me.

Absolutely loved this flick.

Who knew that an American Psycho could be the savior of the post-apocalyptic world?

The movie was only shown twice in my town and then left. I found it by accident and after having seen it, I was scrambling to tell all my friends to go see it!

They had to wait till I got it on DVD and we had a mass showing. It floored them.

Translating it to a game would be really interesting.

Oh well, you picked one of my favorite movies to gush over.

Alfred Norris, VoodooFusion Studios
Team Lead - CONFLICT: Omega
www.conflictomega.com

Syphoon : I think the reason I wasnt as distraught as you are by the Hollywoodesque happy ending (and if you have ever read anything I posted in the past, I have a long history of anti Americanism/Hollywood) was that it is more, well, kinda beautiful.
I like the theme of redemption very very much, such as can be seen in Bad Lieutnant. And this is what happens in Equilibrium.
A real bad ass bad guy whose son is so well indoctrinated that he is probably gonna be even more of a bad ass when he grows up, starts the movie by killing his long time colleague. Then you discover that he killed (effectively) his wife ! Under the nose of his children !
Then he awakens.
Gee, I just loved seeing the emotional breakdown/awakening of the man, realising what a piece of trash he is.
Man, he doesnt even get to save the girl, you gotta give credits to the writers for avoiding such a cliche !
The fact that he brings down the system just really worked for me. I agree that it would have been beautiful if he had died, sacrificing himself to destroy what he had so long been the greatest representative of, but you have to admit it would have been slightly artificial and would have left the loose end of the kids, unlike in Gladiator where MAximus really has nothing to lose anymore.

Nah, brilliant movie Sod the critics, if I listened to them, I would only watch fucking Hollywood blocksuckers and miss all the good stuff.

Iron Chef Carnage : ROFLMAO :D
I love the way you put it, man. Plus your analysis of Persephone is right on target. Did you know Merovingian was the grandfather of the first French king ? I''ve no idea why they would call him that except to say he is VERY old and French, but hey, as long as I get to show off my encyclopedic knowledge, eh