Anyone seen the movie Equilibrium?

Started by
31 comments, last by johnnyBravo 20 years, 3 months ago
Anyone seen the movie Equilibrium? its got some really good fighting scenes and gun scenes. They have like a martial arts of using guns. basically you have a view over the head and you aim the gun with the mouse, and if the person is behind you, or left of you, you dont turn to shoot you reach over and shoot like in the movie
Advertisement
I''ll admit that me and my team were quite impressed about the Gun Katas in the movie. If you watch the DVD w/commentary, it talks about it in a little more detail. We''re actually thinking about (trying) to include it or a look-alike in an RPG we''re producing.

It''s reasonably simple as an idea, but it''s use in an action game or FPS would be highly redundant. (Hence the reason we''re applying it in a turnbased, RPG context.) If you''ve got ideas on making a full featured game out of it, be forewarned - It''ll likely be awkward.
"This I Command" - Serpentor, Ruler of C.O.B.R.A
I think it would be better applied to a real-time action game that allows you to target multiple opponents simultaneously. That way, you could run through the room mashing the "fire" button and your John Preston clone would whack the bad guys.

Of course, as with all video game martial arts, it would be most impressive if applied by an AI hands-off battle system. But we haven''t really come up with a valid way to do that yet.
Great Movie. Rather then 20 minute keanu reeves action sequences, we get to see a 3 second katana fight.

If you know, Equillibrium''s Gunfu, Gunkai, Gunstuff was more about statistics for dodging bullets and eliminating opponents. If you focus on a bullet dodging system with funky animations, and have a multi-target lock on, you''d definately get the same effect.

Though, I''m still holding out for game developers to try and touch the same kind of action Face/Off had before we can expect some equillibrium 6-opponents-at-once-pistol-whipping.
william bubel
Equilibrium ruled. We watched it last year in English class and then wrote an essay on it as our final exam . The special effects were great, they were used with care and not splattered on everything possible.
____________________________________________________________AAAAA: American Association Against Adobe AcrobatYou know you hate PDFs...
i also think realtime would be better. You just target people with the mouse and shoot, so you have to be fast....
while the game does all the movements for you depending on your direction and the target direction.

Does anyone know if the movie came out in australia at the cinemas? i never saw it there.

Being an Aussie sci-fi geek... I can tell you that Equilibrium was on at my local cinema, but I''m not sure about Village or any of the big ones. I never got the chance to see it on the big screen though, it was on for ~1 week or so.
I heard it was a bgrade movie or something, but i thought it was better than the last two matrix''s, also the movie had decent actors...
I worked on a game that was a license to a really big action film that came out this year, unfortunately the game was cancelled.

Equillibrium came out near the beginning of the design phase, me and a programmer sat down and worked out tons of ideas of trying to work in gun katas and other stuff. Devil May Cry 2 trailers were coming out around this time too, and we thought we had been beaten to the punch.

There are a lot of ways to work in some cool over the top animations into fighting like they did.

quote:Original post by Raloth
Equilibrium ruled. We watched it last year in English class and then wrote an essay on it as our final exam . The special effects were great, they were used with care and not splattered on everything possible.

what?....equilibrium for english class??....can i join your school?

Ancient words of wisdom-You Suck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement