Can You Recommend Me Some OpenGL Books?

Started by
14 comments, last by Kingzoolerius666 20 years, 4 months ago
quote:Original post by Myopic Rhino
quote:Original post by Kingzoolerius666
The RedBook is already online so its completely pointless and stupid to purchase it.
Not at all. A new edition has been published within the past month which is much more comprehensive than the version that you can get for free.
quote:Original post by Kingzoolerius666
How good is the "OpenGL Game Programming" book? How many pages? What are some of the topics discussed in there?
It''s over 800 pages. You can see the full ToC here. I think it''s a better value than the SuperBible, but then, I''m biased...

The OpenGL Extensions Guide is worth checking out as well.

No shit, you wrote it But yeah, it is good.

Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives.

William James (1842 - 1910)
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
Advertisement
One more question. I''m doing OpenGL through SDL. I noticed that the first chapter of "OpenGL Game Programming" has some reference to WinAPI coding. I left WinAPI for SDL because SDL is less complicating and is faster than API games.

My question is, Does the rest of the book heavily discuss WinAPI code? I don''t want to constantly modify the code I learn from the book just to be better suited for SDL.

Basically, I''m an SDL/OGL programmer. Is the book still good for me to learn from?

~~~ Signature: ~~
"Satan sent me to destroy the video game industry." - Trigger(my alter ego)
"God is a game designer too and his game, ''Life'' " - Me
"Squirrles make me horny." - Sean Randy Rowlen Uranus
~~~ Signature: ~~"Satan sent me to destroy the video game industry." - Trigger(my alter ego)"God is a game designer too and his game, 'Life' " - Me"Squirrles make me horny." - Sean Randy Rowlen Uranus
Well, we do use Win32 throughout the book, but we only spend a chapter covering it. The OpenGL code isn''t really tied to Win32 at all (with the obvious exception of WGL and related functions). We''ve had several readers tell us they were able to port the code to SDL very quickly and easily.
I hope I can..........

~~~ Signature: ~~
"Satan sent me to destroy the video game industry." - Trigger(my alter ego)
"God is a game designer too and his game, ''Life'' " - Me
"Squirrles make me horny." - Sean Randy Rowlen Uranus
~~~ Signature: ~~"Satan sent me to destroy the video game industry." - Trigger(my alter ego)"God is a game designer too and his game, 'Life' " - Me"Squirrles make me horny." - Sean Randy Rowlen Uranus
i was easily able to convert win32 to SDL in the early chapters, the later chapters are another story. anyway, if you're interested, you can download it here http://www.yasaur.us/dl/gameprog.tar.bz2

[edit] if you use windows then i also put a http://www.yasaur.us/dl/gameprog.zip there

[edited by - clayasaurus on December 16, 2003 8:57:37 PM]
I have the "OpenGL superbible". It was the first opengl book
I bought. I simply regret buying it. It directs you wrong
(especially the win32/opengl examples which uses threads) and
it doesnt provide in depth coverage.

You may find red book a bit "boring" but it will be your
ultimate reference/learning book in the future. I believe
you can not really learn opengl without it. You *must* have it
if you are serious about opengl.

If you are looking for a more "fun" book, look for anything
but the "opengl superbible".

This topic is closed to new replies.