Can You Recommend Me Some OpenGL Books?

Started by
14 comments, last by Kingzoolerius666 20 years, 4 months ago
I plan on purchasing two OpenGL Game Programming books during Christmas. Which do you recommend? I want a book that is comprehensible. Not a book that uses alot of big SAT words. Something understandable. ~~~ Signature: ~~ "Satan sent me to destroy the video game industry." - Trigger(my alter ego) "God is a game designer too and his game, ''Life'' " - Me "Squirrles make me horny." - Sean Randy Rowlen Uranus
~~~ Signature: ~~"Satan sent me to destroy the video game industry." - Trigger(my alter ego)"God is a game designer too and his game, 'Life' " - Me"Squirrles make me horny." - Sean Randy Rowlen Uranus
Advertisement
OpenGL Programming Guide (a.k.a. the red book) and OpenGL SuperBible or the OpenGL Game Programming

Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives.

William James (1842 - 1910)

[edited by - rohde on December 15, 2003 10:43:13 PM]
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
I find that the nehe tutorials work better than almost any books. Although OpenGL Game Programming is a very good book.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
quote:Original post by rohde
OpenGL Programming Guide (a.k.a. the red book) and OpenGL SuperBible or the OpenGL Game Programming

The Red Book is good, but you can get it online. I really have never felt the need for a printed version. The OpenGL SuperBible isn''t all that great in my opinion, but it might be worth having.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
quote:Original post by cowsarenotevil
quote:Original post by rohde

The Red Book is good, but you can get it online. I really have never felt the need for a printed version. The OpenGL SuperBible isn't all that great in my opinion, but it might be worth having.

The online version is an older one and some do find it a bit painful to read a book on (or from?) a screen.

Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives.

William James (1842 - 1910)

[edited by - rohde on December 15, 2003 10:46:43 PM]
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
Hitler!
The RedBook is already online so its completely pointless and stupid to purchase it.

The SuperBible(whatever its called).......well..some people tell me its a bad book. Please keep in mind that I''m purchasing a book. So I want to make sure whatever book I''m buying, that this book will be good and comprehensible.

How good is the "OpenGL Game Programming" book? How many pages? What are some of the topics discussed in there?

~~~ Signature: ~~
"Satan sent me to destroy the video game industry." - Trigger(my alter ego)
"God is a game designer too and his game, ''Life'' " - Me
"Squirrles make me horny." - Sean Randy Rowlen Uranus
~~~ Signature: ~~"Satan sent me to destroy the video game industry." - Trigger(my alter ego)"God is a game designer too and his game, 'Life' " - Me"Squirrles make me horny." - Sean Randy Rowlen Uranus
Clicky
~~~~~Screaming Statue Software. | OpenGL FontLibWhy does Data talk to the computer? Surely he's Wi-Fi enabled... - phaseburn
quote:Original post by Kingzoolerius666
The RedBook is already online so its completely pointless and stupid to purchase it.

It's OGL version 1.1, you do realize that OpenGL is in version 1.4 (1.5 soon)?

quote:
The SuperBible(whatever its called).......well..some people tell me its a bad book.

No it's not. Check out the reviews at Amazon.

quote:
Please keep in mind that I'm purchasing a book. So I want to make sure whatever book I'm buying, that this book will be good and comprehensible.

Yeah I gathered that thank you very much. Were you under the impression that I assumed you were going to steal them?

[edited by - rohde on December 15, 2003 11:05:27 PM]
Not at all. A new edition has been published within the past month which is much more comprehensive than the version that you can get for free.
How good is the "OpenGL Game Programming" book? How many pages? What are some of the topics discussed in there?
It''s over 800 pages. You can see the full ToC here. I think it''s a better value than the SuperBible, but then, I''m biased...

The OpenGL Extensions Guide is worth checking out as well.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement