Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bullet Holes Correct?

This topic is 5110 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My current method for creating bullet holes is kind of hokie looking, so I'm turning to everyone here for advice. As of now I'm using billboards, which I believe is my largest mistake. Anyway, I may as well throw some code out there:
D3DXVECTOR3 HitPos;
			BOOL bHit;
			DWORD dwFace;
			FLOAT fBary1, fBary2, fDist = -1.0f;
			DWORD count;
			D3DXIntersect(g_Room.m_pMesh, &g_Player.GetPosition(), &LPos, &bHit, &dwFace, &fBary1, &fBary2, &fDist, 0, &count);
			if(fDist != -1.0f)
			{
				HitPos = g_Player.GetPosition() + Normalize(LPos) * fDist;
				D3DXVECTOR3 verts[4];
				D3DXVECTOR3 pos = HitPos;
				verts[0] = D3DXVECTOR3(pos.x - 0.1f, pos.y+0.1f, pos.z);
				verts[1] = D3DXVECTOR3(pos.x + 0.1f, pos.y+0.1f, pos.z);
				verts[2] = D3DXVECTOR3(pos.x - 0.1f, pos.y-0.1f, pos.z);
				verts[3] = D3DXVECTOR3(pos.x + 0.1f, pos.y-0.1f, pos.z);
				g_BulletHoles.push_back(new BILLBOARD("images//bullethole.bmp", verts));

}
     }
So I'm using D3DXIntersect to get the distance, and then getting the position and the vertices, which in turn, create the BILLBOARD. I believe that what I SHOULD be doing is, instead of creating a BILLBOARD, I should create a series of rotation matrices to align the image with the plane of the wall. Something like this?
D3DXMATRIXA16 matTemp, matRot;
D3DXVECTOR3 pos, normal, axis;
//Assume pos is the position of the bullet hole (a point on the wall)

//Assume normal is the normal to the wall's plane

D3DXMatrixRotationAxis(&matRot, axis, AngleBetween(normal, pos - g_Player.GetPosition());
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I think I should do, but I have no idea how to calculate the variable axis. Any ideas? Edit: Why in the world is the whole thing red?! Please pardon the odd coloring. [edited by - ms291052 on December 15, 2003 11:00:45 PM] [edited by - ms291052 on December 16, 2003 7:43:20 AM] [edited by - ms291052 on December 16, 2003 7:43:52 AM]

About the coloring
it seems that the double slash ends the command (first set of code), and so it doesnt see a closing quote... if u look closly the last two brackets are red...

g_BulletHoles.push_back(new BILLBOARD("images//bullethole.bmp", verts)); } }

[edited by - Pirosan on December 15, 2003 11:43:54 PM]