Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

World Creator: Iso/2D/Psuedo3d/ Tiling Software

This topic is 5111 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I'm new to this forum so hello to all. Reading through past posts it seems everyone is really into creating cool Iso graphics and so am I. If anyone is interested I have designed some FREEWARE software that I think may be of interest/use to many of you that require Isometric, 2D, Pseudo3D tiled artwork for games creation & development. The software also deals with animating tiles and has a very open ended structure allowing the user to design there own graphics very easily. The output quality from this software is really useful. Regards to All Activ8 [edited by - Activ8 on December 16, 2003 2:51:11 AM] [edited by - Activ8 on December 16, 2003 2:55:02 AM]

quote:
Original post by Wyrframe
So what is this software? A texture generator? A sprite rotator? A tilemap editor?

Wyrframe
Its a bit difficult to explain exactly. It manipulates textures into 2D-Iso-Pseudo3D Tiles. This is done by using a Masking system, yes it does use rotation but the Tiles it creates do not just look flat, they do have a 3D feel to them. The Masks can be tailored to suit your requirements so it is very open ended.

The tiles can then be loaded into whatever programming software you are using to create your game or app.

How do I put a picture up on the forum so I can show you.

Regards
Activ8

Rather than go into loads of technical details of how the sofware works if your interested then it can be downloaded from here www.inet2inet.com

or if you would rather a couple of Screenshots then www.inet2inet.com/IsoDemo1.gif
www.inet2inet.com/Pseudo3D.gif

Regards to All. Hope you find the software useful.

Activ8

quote:
Original post by Dredge-Master
The Isometric tiles look really nice.

Dredge-Master
Thanks for your support. With a little time and effort some really good results can be achieved with this software.

Here's a larger Screenshot www.inet2inet.com/WCScreen01.jpg
Here's an Animated Isometric Wall Tile www.inet2inet.com/Door2.gif

Dredge- What are your general interests the Game development side of things or the Graphical. Both take alot of work and dedication.

Thanks and Regards
Activ8

[edited by - Activ8 on December 20, 2003 1:59:30 PM]

Both
Graphics are very important to me (quality and frame rate) at the same time I NEED to have good game play or I won''t consider it a good project. I''m one of those people who has played so many games I know that most of them are complete shite.
eg; Dues Ex - Brilliant : Theif 2 - shite
eg; Throne of Darkness Demo - Excellent : Throne of Darkness Full Version - close-to-shite

See, I''m a bit sensitive when it comes to game play.

Anything below the shite level isn''t considered a game in my opinion - just a waste of another $89.95AU.

Dredge

Yeah I know what you mean. Alot of the BIG PLAYERS in the gaming market seem to have the attitude of, we''ll license a 3D game engine, bolt on some sort of story line / scenario and we''ve got ourselves a best selling game! I seem to remember Sony annoucing a few years ago that they would ONLY be producing 3D games for the PS2. Well that''s fine and I''m not against 3D games there are some excellent ones, and they have improved certain genres of games, but how are they going to develop them further.

Voice Recognition (from the game user) already possible.
Holographic Games (if Holographic TV ever becomes widely available. I doubt it.)
Personalised Avatars (already available / possible)
Surround Sound Dolby (already available / possible)

More of the same is my guess!

Some of the retro games still stand up today and there''s definately a market place for them as well as home brewed games.
Regards

I''ve used voice recognition.

My first time I ever had it at home was with OS2 Warp Merlin.

I prefer it over Microsoft OS''s. Up unti XP. XP is very stable so what it lacks for in the cool voice recognition it makes up for in it''s stability and driver support.

OS2 has (well a few years ago - when I last used it) ALOT of silicon valley programmers and other IBM ones all over the place that still program for it... and its free . That''s if you can access the BBS that they have for it. I use to hop onto the BBS once in a while before I got cable. Since I have cable now it''s all internet only for me nowadays.

Anyway, the two best things about OS2.
First
Quake 1 on my old dual P100

20FPS in Windows 95
25FPS in pure MS-DOS mode
45FPS in OS2 PC-DOS mode
50FPS in OS2 Windowed mode

and you could run windows THROUGH OS2 faster than windows ran by itself

Second
Built in IBM Voice Recognition
The first time I installed it I said "hello" to my family. My PC was in the same room, I turned back and the computer had a gray elephant doing a hand stand on a circular circus box saying "hello" back to me. It was great

For the game thingy, Voice Recognition (and speach playback) isn''t hard to do. Well hard but not THAT hard.

I started building a 3D image display using a parrallel port before.

Just a LOT of transistors on the first design. Not a very big map. I think it was 16x16x16 or something. Just tell it to "light this one up". It used LEDs (one for each point) and would cycle through them and light them up. Fast enough and it would make a more stable image.

If I used some capacitors (or just changed the circuit to keep the current - transistors would do it easily) they could have remained on, but it was more of a fun thing.

If I EVER learn to use the USB ports, then I will use that one.

Regarding bolted on story lines on great engines - I take it you mean ID Software It''s true though. I still hate the quake series. Then again I was part of the Duke3D v2.0 team, so plot/gameplay first in my opinion.

The problem with frag fest type games is that it''s hard to give them a story line when most of the players only want it to kill things. Fair enough I guess, but still...
For strategy games one of the downfalls in my opinion is Command and Conquer Generals. A RTS that was aimed at the 14 and 16 year olds of the gaming industry. Hence crap reviews I guess. After playing all the westwood ones before it, it is a very crap game. Good game, but bad for westwood.
Another downfall being no-more-SSI.

Guess the same goes for MicroProse/MicroPlay (good old sid meier).
Speaking of sid meier, atleast after he sold the rights to Civilization, he got his own back when they released CivIII (which lets face it isn''t that much of an improvement over II) and he went off and released call to power II. CTP2 being spectacular, and now since it is open sourced...

I have to stop typing so damn much.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Yes the creator''s objective with this thread isn''t that clear.

quote:
Original post by Activ8
Rather than go into loads of technical details of how the sofware works if your interested then it can be downloaded from here www.inet2inet.com

or if you would rather a couple of Screenshots then www.inet2inet.com/IsoDemo1.gif
www.inet2inet.com/Pseudo3D.gif

Regards to All. Hope you find the software useful.

Activ8

All you had to do was read his post and cut and paste. It''s not that hard.

I''ll even save you the pasting. just click
www.inet2inet.com

To answer a few queries regarding the World Creator software:

Q: Does the World Creator create a complete and entire World.
A: No. If it did then it would either have to be randomised or preset or a combination of both. This would end up being quite restrictive and would NOT allow the user to create their own individual Worlds.

Q: So if it only creates individual tiles then how do I create a World / Level.
A: To create your World simply load the Tiles you have created into whatever Software you are using to create your Game / Media App, and position the Tiles to create your World.

Q: Do I have to use / understand VB / C++ or any programming language to use this software.
A: Absolutely NOT

If you are using VB / C++ and don''t want the headache of using DirectX to create an Isometric Engine then you could use Direct Draw or even the old WinG(Windows Graphics) to create your World and Sprites. In fact using the old WinG it is easy to create a Sprite Class, which is perfectly adequate for creating a powerful 2D or Isometric style game. Anyone interested in downloading a VB(Sprite Class) then let me know and I will try to make one available for download. I''m sure those using C++ would have no trouble converting it.

If you are using a specific Game Development Software then you don''t have any problems with DirectX or Classes etc. Just load the Tiles into your software and position them in your Game Window. Couldn''t be easier!

To make things a little easier for you to preview the ScreenShots......

ScreenShot1 Isometric
Image1

ScreenShot2 Pseudo3D
Image2

ScreenShot3 Animated Isometric Door
Image3

ScreenShot4 Animated Isometric Floor (Water/Stream)
Image4

ScreenShot5 Animated 2D Door
Image5

ScreenShot5: Large Isometric Screen
www.inet2inet.com/WcScreen01.jpg

To download the World Creator software and more details please visit.
www.inet2inet.com

Finally a question for all DirectX programmers. Is it possible to create the above types of Animation inside a DirectX Isometric Engine or would you have to resort to importing it as a Multi-framed sprite? I don''t have a great deal of experience with DirectX and (have never been much of a fan) but I am willing to be converted, the main advantage I can see is the posibilty of ''Height Mapping''.

Regards Activ8