Foxbear kikz my arse in performance!why?

Started by
13 comments, last by SikCiv 23 years, 9 months ago
Foxbear counts actual flips called by ->flip() using the wait flag. My game works the same.

The only difference is that *at the moment for debug reasons* my game is ONLY blitting a 640x480x16bit surface and flipping it, whilst foxbear is blitting about 4 huge colorkeyed trees, a bgnd, and a few sprites...acheiving 60FPS. Im getting 31 FPS at the most (in fullscreen)!

My surface IS in VidMem, so really all im doing is blitting from vidmem to vidmem using NO colorkeying, then doing a standard flip.

Ive even checked Foxbears routine for blitting and flipping, its the same as mine, but somehow my app refuses to give me credit.

Downloads:  ZeroOne Realm

Advertisement
Have you tried compiling your program in Release mode? That may give you a substantial increase in performance.

- WitchLord

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Bad WindowProc/message handling can also slow things
down alot. (they can make you blit to wait a long time). Try to do it the same way foxbear does.

There is no spoon.
WhichLord was right, im using the debug libs!!!!!

I recompiled Foxbear using the DX7 Debug libs, and its getting the same framerate as my app.

I cant find my DX7 CD, can someone email me the DX7 Release libs to me?

Or can I disable debugging using the debug libs?
Ive noticed when I link my app, there is a command being used called -Debug:full, how do I set it to no debugging (im not very familiar with makefiles)?

This is my makefile (parts of it)

[
!include
#!include "dxsdk.inc"

proj=CApp

mycflag=/G5 /GX /RELEASE
#mycflag=/G5 /GX /DEBUG

cl ....etc..

$(proj).res: $(proj).rc
rc -r -fo $(proj).res $(proj).rc

$(proj).exe: $(objs) $(proj).res
$(link) $(guiflags) -out:$(proj).exe \
$(objs) $(proj).res \
$(guilibs) dxguid.lib ddraw.lib winmm.lib ijl.lib dsound.lib uuid.lib ole32.lib

]

(SikCiv@Hotmail.com)

Thanks.

Downloads:  ZeroOne Realm

Have you tried the Foxbear example that comes with MGL? I find MGL a million times better to code for than DirectDraw and it''s cross platform. Give that a try, you wont regret it.
http://www.scitechsoft.com/

I know it doesn''t directly solve your DirectDraw problem, but it sort of does.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement