Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Feedback required....

This topic is 5107 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I was wondering if there''s any chance of some technical feedback on my game? I''ve included a debug exe that''ll show the frame rate etc. I''d really like to get some PC specs and the frame rate it runs at on those computers. I''d also like some people with little graphics card memory to tell me if they get any jerkyness in the frame rate... http://www.jeremypardon.com/parp/pages/downloads.html Much appreciated. Jez.

Kool or wot? That is sweet

Running on an RM 1.8ghz with 64MB Intel(r) Graphics Card it runs a treat

Running on a Higrade 2.2ghz laptop 64mb NVidia Grahics Card even better.

Wots it programmed in? I''m learning the DX9 using VB.Net

Wow, cool. That''s good to hear.

Hog: It''s programmed in DirectX9 C++, well C really but I calling their C++ functions

Now anyone got a really crap machine to try it on

Cheers you guys! Much appreciated

Here are my testing scenerios using parp_debug.exe:

Case 1
------
Toshiba Satellite 5005-S507 laptop
Video card: nVidia GeForce 440 Go
Frame rates were 33-35 fps ingame (windowed 800x600), 67-68 fps at menu.
System specs: 1.4 GHz Pentium III, 512M RAM
How the game felt: Acceptably smooth

Case 2
------
Dell Optiplex GX260
Video card: Intel Extreme Graphics Controller (sw vp)
Frame rates were 23-24 fps ingame (windowed 800x600), 16-17 fps at menu.
System specs: 2.6 GHz Pentium 4, 512M RAM
Note: Initially failed with error "d3d9.dll missing" due to missing DX9. Installed DX9 to get those figures above.
How the game felt: A little choppy, but still acceptable.

Case 3
------
Custom built PC
Video card: Cirrus Logic 5480
System specs: Dual 500 Mhz Pentium III (Xeon), 384M RAM
Error: Game reports in a dialog: "Could not find any compatible Direct3D devices. This sample will now exit."
How the game felt: NA

You owe me one, Jeremy.

---
[[ Gaping Wolf Software ]]

FenrirWolf:

No messing...sweet cheers That all sounds pretty good. I''m running on a hi-end workstation, so I get some great frame rates, which is why I thought I''d better check `out there` what people have. Long as people get around 30 fps I''m happy. A little optimising work to do then Case 2 looks very interesting. Slower on the titles screen than in game...Hmmm.... Case 3, do any dx9 games work on that machine to your knowledge?

Hog:
Just little old me I''m afraid. Been working on it now for 3 years on and off...Reckon it''ll be complete, with proper animated characters and finished level graphics, ready for next christmas.

Thanks again everyone. Much appreciated
Jez.

Nice game! Love the graphics!

Ran like a dream on my system:
P4 2.6C
512 Dual400
Radeon 9800 128Mb
SB Audigy 2

In fullscreen 1280x1024 with 4x FSAA and 8x AF, maintained a constant ~200fps. That''s great stuff!

A few quick notes from the my 5-minutes of gameplay (I''m supposed to be studying I''ll play more later):

- For your "fire strength bar", you can see the very top of the "bar portion" (red gradient) outside the top of the border. Very minor but also easy to fix.
- Can we have control over how far we have to move the joystick/gamepad before it registers as "turn"? Even better, add support for analog input (turn speed variable)! Currently the game is pretty hard to play on a joystick or analog stick on a gamepad.

Great stuff though! Oh man was I blown away when I got to the third level with the lava and bridges. It''s just so polished!

Keep it up, and I''ll post back tomorrow night with more observations (after exams are over).

quote:
Original post by jpardon
FenrirWolf:

Case 2 looks very interesting. Slower on the titles screen than in game...Hmmm.... Case 3, do any dx9 games work on that machine to your knowledge?

Well, the graphics card (which absolutely sucks -- I''ll be using this system as a bench against my next game, too. can''t do hardware vertex processing. My guess is that since your title screen looks like it has a lot more geometry than your ingame level (since the menu is overlaid on top of a level displayed in the background), that''s why it''s chugging. I''d count up the number of triangles your processing per frame, I bet the menu will have 2-3x more than ingame.

Not sure if there''s any point in optimizing it, though. I''d rather have the menu be slower than ingame. I''d just do the basic optimizations like minimizing state changes and texture switches and leave it at that.

As for other DX9 games on the third system, I''m not sure. But I can test that out for you.

BTW, it''s a real nice looking game. I didn''t get a chance to play it much, but it''s got a polished, smooth look to it. Great job.

---

AndyTX:
200fps!!! That''s some machine you''ve got there. I''ve done some profiling recently and discovered that some 90% of the game time is spent drawing the game. I''m guessing that the radieon is a pretty damn good graphics card to do 200 fps with the anti-aliasing turned on Hmmm...maybe time to go to ATI and leave Nvidia?

As for your comments on the game, all comments are greatly appreciated. The controls will become analogue as soon as santa gets me an analogue joystick The bit you see on the power guage will get sorted...sometime...

Can you recommend a good analogue stick, for `British` hands, my microsoft gamepad is just Too god damn big!!!

If you play further into the game you''ll see some dead ropey levels, they''re just `layouts` as I call them. Getting the gameplay right so not wasting time re-doing graphics. Play further into the game and there''s some more `finished` levels. The last 3 are not even started but are there so you can play the game from start to finish.

Fenrir Wolf:
Your probably right. I thought it may be an overdraw issue with the text being so big onscreen. I should go to Oxfam or somewhere and get myself and real old PC as a test machine, maybe a P90!!!

Again, thanks for all your comments.
Brill.

Yep, she''s a powerful machine (only a few months old, so one would expect). Still, I''ve seen bad coding bring even that fastest down to a crawl, so kudos to your game!

Analog joysticks... well if you''re talking a gamepad with an analog stick, the one that I can most highly recommend is the Logitech Wingman Rumblepad (or the cordless one - they are the same). Just an amazing all around gamepad... very durable, lots of buttons, two analog sticks, D-pad and not very expensive! Furthermore you get force-feedback support, which is kind of fun to play around with in FEdit and you might even add it to your game (it''s not that hard to do).
[url]http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?page=products/details&CRID=11&CONTENTID=5022&countryid=19&languageid=1[/url]

If you don''t care about the FF though, Logitech also just came out with a new gamepad that is almost identical to the PlayStation controller, which is also quite good.
[url]http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?page=products/details&CRID=11&CONTENTID=6951&countryid=19&languageid=1[/url]

Don''t mean to evangelize Logitech, but they do make some sweet products.

Yep I played a bunch more of the levels (again which I should have been studying) and I was quite impressed! I was very pleased to find the other two guys to play as well. The whole game just generally has a very polished, complete, feel to it.

Last thing that I noticed for now:
- You could save some space (and download size) by creating a resource system that doesn''t require you to duplicate the textures in each of the level directories that use them. Even if you still want to reference them by name, you can do this pretty easily with a Hash table or equivalent data structure.

Hope to play some more in a few days. Again, good work!

Heehee, I went and checked. That system will indeed play most of the DirectX 9 SDK samples -- but using the reference software rasterizer (REF). Talk about sloooooow. That Cirrus card has absolutely 3d accelerator hardware on it at all.

It''s not worth adding support for such a thing. DX will fall back on software rendering if it absolutely HAS to, but it''s terrible for framerate. Even though the software parts are optimized, it''s still slow because it can make no assumptions about the sort of texture/geometry data it will receive. You could write your own software rasterizer that would skip a lot of those general cases and be faster but -- well! Who the heck writes software rasterizers these days, outside of embedded device development?

---

WOW, I''m well impressed, I can only dream of creating something like this. You should feel well proud of creating something this good

My laptop with the NVidia, ffp=69

It just halted on my laptop. I got through the intro Ok but when i pressed space for "New Game" it halts. The only way to move on is frame by frame if i press Go/Stop or Single step.

It looks cool though and i want to play it!

Q

Quirk, was that the debug version? If so try just hitting return, it''s possibly a debug message in the background. If it was the release version `parp!.exe` I''m flumuxed

Fenrir Wolf, cheers for trying it. I guess I should default to the HEL if there''s no hardware but like you say it''s probably not worth adding the support as it''ll be unplayable.

Hog: Sweet!!! Good frame rate! Good laptop

Andy: Or Logitech saleman? Ha ha! I like the look of the ps2 look-a-like. Sent my letter to santa (asked me wife)

Cheers All
Parp!

Yup. I would however change the message it gives you to say something like, "Your system does not possess a graphics card compatible with DirectX 9. You can try updating your graphics drivers." Currently, it refers to "this sample" so I''m guessing you snatched the DX9 device initialization code from one of the SDK examples.

---

Yeh, I''m using the common framework code. It''s quick and easy to get up and running. Not to bothered about the techy side of things me, more interested in making the `game`. I''ve always found d3d setup just downright labourious, and not in the slightest bit interesting. I can totaly appreciate people wanting to write their own engine and stuff, but that''s not what I''m into. I am looking forward to writing an animation system though, hopefully with the aid of Jim Adam''s book. Sounds quite heavy though

Back to the original suggestion though, there''s no reason why I couldn''t `customise` the messages to my game. Will add to my TODO list.

Andy TX: Just got rid of all my separate texture folder''s and put them into one for all the levels. So simple, that''s what I liked 5.8meg of textures is now 1.4meg. Should pack up nicely. Thanks for the sugestion.

Don''t worry, I wasn''t knocking the fact you use pre-made code in your game. Hell, my .X loader and animator is pretty much almost cut-and-pasted straight from Microsoft''s example.

Still, you and I might know what "incompatible D3D device" means, but 90% of your target audience won''t. So it''s best to make your error messages as helpful as possible. You can dump all the high-tech mumbo-jumbo in an error.log file and ask people to email that when they get a crash.

---

I get about 196FPS at a steady rate with 4xFSAA and 16xAF at 1024x768.

AMD Athlon xp 2500 @ 3200+ (2.2Ghz)
512 DDR 400
SBLive Digital - 5.1 setup
Sapphire Radeon 9800

Great game, keep up the good work

Wow, that''s pretty cool. Nice job. It runs arounds 150-160 FPS on my system. Nice graphics btw.

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"