Feedback required....

Started by
28 comments, last by jpardon 20 years, 3 months ago
Yeh, I''m using the common framework code. It''s quick and easy to get up and running. Not to bothered about the techy side of things me, more interested in making the `game`. I''ve always found d3d setup just downright labourious, and not in the slightest bit interesting. I can totaly appreciate people wanting to write their own engine and stuff, but that''s not what I''m into. I am looking forward to writing an animation system though, hopefully with the aid of Jim Adam''s book. Sounds quite heavy though

Back to the original suggestion though, there''s no reason why I couldn''t `customise` the messages to my game. Will add to my TODO list.

Andy TX: Just got rid of all my separate texture folder''s and put them into one for all the levels. So simple, that''s what I liked 5.8meg of textures is now 1.4meg. Should pack up nicely. Thanks for the sugestion.

www.JeremyPardon.com
Advertisement
Don''t worry, I wasn''t knocking the fact you use pre-made code in your game. Hell, my .X loader and animator is pretty much almost cut-and-pasted straight from Microsoft''s example.

Still, you and I might know what "incompatible D3D device" means, but 90% of your target audience won''t. So it''s best to make your error messages as helpful as possible. You can dump all the high-tech mumbo-jumbo in an error.log file and ask people to email that when they get a crash.

---
[[ Gaping Wolf Software ]]
--- - 2D/Pixel Artist - 3D Artist - Game Programmer - Ulfr Fenris[[ Gaping Wolf Software ]] [[ GameGenesis Forums ]]
I get about 196FPS at a steady rate with 4xFSAA and 16xAF at 1024x768.

AMD Athlon xp 2500 @ 3200+ (2.2Ghz)
512 DDR 400
SBLive Digital - 5.1 setup
Sapphire Radeon 9800

Great game, keep up the good work
Wow, that''s pretty cool. Nice job. It runs arounds 150-160 FPS on my system. Nice graphics btw.

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"
What am I supposed to do if I have no ammo and start a mission that has a first person perspective? Seemed the only thing I could do was quit the game.
Press Escape to go to normal view.
Yeh, sorry about that. You press space then start the game and when the game starts your pressing space so you fire. With Nippa this means you go into sniper mode. Pressing esc like andyTX says cancels sniper mode, you can also press the start/pause button on your gamepad to do the same thing. The controls are all in the help file.

Something I'll add to my to do list.

Fenrir Wolf: Fair point!

Losec: I think I need a radeon!!!

UltimaX: Cheers Gov.

Parp!

[edited by - jpardon on December 19, 2003 7:18:05 AM]
www.JeremyPardon.com
That''s a really nice game!

My results..

AMD Athlon 1.0ghz
384mb ram
NVidia FX 5200

60fps @ 800x600
30fps @ 1024x768

Pentium 4 2.66ghz w/ht
1gb ddr400
Radeon 9800 pro 128mb

258fps @ 800x600
215fps @ 1024x768
123fps @ 1600x1200

All with 4x AA & 16x aniso.

Looks smooth as hell on the radeon. Awesome job!

Reet that''s it...Santa I''ll have a radeon please
www.JeremyPardon.com
Ask santa for the 9800 XT, you get a halflife 2 voucher with it

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement