Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-COM Hacking

This topic is 5115 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Most of you know the X-Com series of games. I''ve seen XCom on "abandonware" websites for download. Many of you reading this are programmers yourselfs, what I propose would be to back-engeneer XCom so that we can find the game loop and insert/alter code to make it slower so that it can correctly work on our (faster) machines. I''ve seen other methods that try to occupy the processor, but those really don''t work. This is a bit far fetched I know, but for that game, I think its worth it... What do you guys think?

[Hugo Ferreira][Positronic Dreams][Colibri 3D Engine][Entropy HL2 MOD][Yann L.][Enginuity]
Stop reading my signature and click it!

I had the exact same problem when I tried to play my old X-Com games recently. I actaully bought an old pentium 1 computer for 20 bucks, just so I could play them (and the Space Quest series). I figure its easier than reverse engineering the code and loading on old versions of Windows.

I know assembly quite well Pipo, its just that reverse engeneering the main game loop may be harder that I could imagine.

Once inside the main loop we can construct a "dummy" loop whose only purpose is to slow the loop down to a playable cadence.

Maybe Microprose would be so kind as to release the source code? If we could compile it, we could create a DirectX enabled version...

Any thoughts on this?

[Hugo Ferreira][Positronic Dreams][Colibri 3D Engine][Entropy HL2 MOD][Yann L.][Enginuity]
Stop reading my signature and click it!