Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First chance exception

This topic is 5114 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I use VC++ 6.0 and sometimes I get a load of first chance exceptions when I run my programs. The thing is, I can run them fine most times, but every so often it will list a lot of these errors, but the program will still run fine. It''s happened with a lot of different programs, regardless of whether I''m using D3D or OGL. If I run the program a second time, without changing a thing, they usually don''t appear. I also get them sometimes in D3D programs when I step through break points (maybe this is caused by a lost device, I don''t know). Anyone know why I get them? --------------------------------------- Let''s struggle for our dream of Game! http://andrewporritt.4t.com

On Windows they seem to occur when a page of memory is needed from virtual memory and it actually has to go and retrieve it.

E.g. it waits until the last possible second ("I need this page of memory"), throws a structured exception internally which never makes it to your application. The handler just puts the page into memory and consumes the exception. VS debugger just lets you see this sort of thing going on, which I think is neat (if a bit disconcerting at first).

Thats what I found when I looked up the problem awhile ago.