Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3ds to .x -> animation :)

This topic is 5110 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So this is a long one, sorry! I plan to use .X files and DirectX for my latest project. I''ll describe it as a tank simulator. There will be 50-60 or maybe even over 100-200 moving, animated, deformable objects in a scene. It seems to me that if I use 3D Studio to create the objects I''ll need to create and export each animation separately. Is it so? I have two options: to use .X files with bones (I don''t know if the exporter supports them) or .X files with keyframes. If I go for bones. I suppose I have to make all animations programatically (which might be good). Or perhaps all moving parts of a "tank" could be made as separate objects and handled programatically. This will allow to have objects (tanks) that are designed at run time by the user. And the last one. All of the objects in the scene should be dynamically deformable. What I mean here is if a tank is destroyed it should be randomly destroyed and not pre-modeled. So should I have for each object a separate vertex buffer? How would you handle that? Except for "tanks" in a typical scene there will be other objects too like: animal, trees, grasses, houses, etc. And last question: what is the typical triangle count per scene that is recommended for a real time application -> game? Let''s assume these two configurations: Celeron 400 + TNT card Pentium 4 + Radeon 9600 I want to appologize if this long question has bothered you!

For the celeron system, probably 15k onscreen at any one time if you want 60fps. This could be alot lower depending on how much CPU time your game takes up(Collissio/AI/etc).

Thank you!

I just start to wonder if my question is too stupid badly formulated nobody want to bother reading it.

Target fps are 25-30. I''m planning to buy a portable some time soon something like P4 2.8HT with Mobile Radeon 9600. My goal will be very high geometric detail + highly detailed textures, though geometry has priority.

The developers of STALKER are talking about 3 million triangles per scene.

Anything above 3M tris/s is going to make your game playable on a very small number of users. so if you want 30fps, you should not exceed 100k/frame. This is only a raw count, most of the time, the bottleneck will be your fillrate, so you wont even reach anywhere near this number on a GF.

So i would say, focus on saving fillrate first before worrying about your polygon count.