Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game Programming Group

This topic is 5108 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Maybe some of you remember a post a few months ago that started a game programming group that we called Newbies At Large, or NAL for short. Well, this group still lives. First, let me tell you the story. The day NAL was born things looked so nice, we had more than 20 people who wanted to participate. We decided to do Pong, using DirectX 9. At first it seemed reasonable to split into several teams, because there were simply too many people for a game as simple as Pong. But then people started to fall off. One week later we had like 6-7 persons, and nobody seemed to do anything. Except me, lol. What I hated about the people who disappeared and didn''t come back is they never said they were leaving. They simply left. And we didn''t know are they still with us, or not. Time passed, and the few who kept joining the programming channel - me, powerblazer, Jepmaster and Pixelgamer - decided to start another project, a new game that we called RainCatcher. It started well, I was the lead and, actually, only programmer, and Jepmaster was our graphics designer. powerblazer and Pixelgamer promised their support but their limited understanding of C++ wouldn''t let them help much. One day powerblazer said he was going his own way and wouldn''t come here for some time. And so, it was me and Jep. From 20 in the beginning to 2 at the moment. I don''t want this to sound like a sad story, but like a lesson everyone should learn - It takes more than good wishes to create a game - it takes determination. I have that. Jepmaster has that. Do you have it? Which takes me to the point - we''re looking for new members to aid us in the creation of our project. This time not everyone is welcome - we''re looking for people with certain skills. Those are: - A pro coder. That would be a man who has proven his skills and is willing to spend a little of his precious time guiding us to the end of the project. I know such people have much better things to do than teaching newbies, so we''ll try to bother you as little as possible. Your job will be to talk to us and tell us what to do when. - C++ coders. You need to have a good knowledge of C++, including classes. Also, at least a little knowledge of DirectX9 is required. You should be on-line as much as possible, I think 2 days a week is the minimum. - A Graphics Designer. No programming required - you should simply draw 2D images for our game . Game programming is supposed to be fun, and fun it is! This is not a group in which you can talk about the current project and nothing else. We are friendly, normal people who talk about everything . So if you want to work with us, we''re expecting you. You can contact us on Filetopia, download it from http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/l.huurdeman/ftop304dnew.exe Once you''ve installed it, join #Game Programming Channel And please, if you''re not determined you want to make a game, don''t join. We''ve had enough of those. We also have a forum, check it out at http://www.18abc.com/gpg/index.php We have a good base code (written by me), you can find a little outdated version of it at the forums.

I have no knowledge od DirectX yet but im willing to learn and I have a fairly good understanding of C/C++ (since im still learning oop) When i can find out how to run my game independently of the compiler I can give you an example of my skill its a turn based battling game with 2400 lines of code, im dedicated to the things I do and most of the time I can be on for more than 2 days a week.

Ok, I''d love to see your work . Good thing is I have sufficient knowledge of DirectX for the simple game we''re working on at the moment so DirectX is not crucial for you. 2400 lines sounds impressive, what API have you used? OpenGL? Maybe we should talk about that in Filetopia.

I would love to help out but I''m affraid its too early for me still. Just started reading Tricks of the game programming gurus after teaching myself C++.

I''m also very dedicated....i''ve just started learning C++ 3 months ago...I have just started reading Andre Lamothe''s ToTWGPG this month.

I say just don''t give up on finding the right people. It may have taken 20 to get the first 2....it may take another 20 to get the next 2....but then you will have 4 .

Well good luck to you guys and please don''t give up on finding more....when I''m ready...I would love to have dedicated fellows like you to work with .

quote:
Original post by cowsarenotevil
I see you're in need of a "pro coder..." near the beginning of the group I said that if anyone needed help they'd be free to e-mail me with any questions... You can still do that.

Bah, cocky people bug me. If you're a pro coder then most of the people on these forums are pro coders.

[edited by - Third on December 17, 2003 1:50:28 AM]

Ademan555@hotmail.com i have knowledge of the ID3DXSprite in dx9 and pretty good c++ coding skills, tell me the project if youd like me in, if not....well then, you can just ignore this... :-D

-Dan

Yes I realize im a n00b...

quote:
I see you''re in need of a "pro coder..." near the beginning of the group I said that if anyone needed help they''d be free to e-mail me with any questions... You can still do that.

When I said a "pro coder" I was thinking of a professional coder who is working or has worked in the game industry and hopefully has released one or two games... not that you are a bad coder, but as far as I know you''ve never worked on a commercial game. Correct me if I''m wrong.

I haven't worked on anything professionally, I can grant you that. I'd get a job if I could though. But I certainly do have the skills required to make the style of games you're making.

Though if you need someone who gets paid to help you I'm afraid you're stuck.

EDIT: If you doubt my skills I can gladly provide a sampling of my skills, but given that I've yet to get a single e-mail from anyone asking assistance I don't see why you're being so picky.

[edited by - coWsaRenOtevIl on December 17, 2003 12:55:03 PM]

Don''t get me wrong - I didn''t say you''re a bad coder. I''m sure you can make the kind of games we''re working on. So can I. That''s why I wouldn''t email you - I would rather post here, where I can get the opinion of several good coders. We''re looking for people who would be part of our group, not just a programmer we can ask for help. E-mailing is not the way.

Hi there, I''m also like u guys, writting games using DirectX. However, I''m using DirectX 7 for 2D surfaces, DirectX 8 for DirectInput and DirectPlay..

However, I only do projects solo coz I already experienced what ur group has experienced. My previous group left me a very deep impression. Their exit prompted me to write my own game engine which I did.

Recently I''ve written a game called Jedi Wing, a vertical scrolling 2D space craft shooting game. It took me 3 months to complete the Alpha. I''ve learnt that even a simple shooting game takes daunting will and patience and organisation to complete.

My point is, start small, start slow, start organised. And if a big team is avaliable, attempt a big one. However so, spend time planning the game. At least 1-3 months of proper planning is required.

1 important point is the motivation of ur team. When you hav a game, u create a world of ur own and set ur rules. If you want ur team to stay, u must ensure that they understand ur world and its rules and of course, the storyline, which is very important to any medium to large scale games. Try to make them part of ur world, or feel for the main elements of the game such as main characters, main game features, super moves of a character... AI.... so on and so forth...

It''s nice that u r sharing ur story here. Hope to keep in contact wif u and ur team.

ThRaWn80

You aren''t making sense at all. Originally I was a member of this group, but the majority of people never agreed with me when I offered guidence (I never did figure out why you tried to write Pong in Direct3D...). So have you completely restructured the group and now want a leader?

quote:
I never did figure out why you tried to write Pong in Direct3D...

Maybe because we wanted our next (and more advanced) project to be in Direct3D and we could lay the basis in Pong (which we actually DID). We're at the moment gathering people so we can finish the project we're working on and then move to next one. As I've written all the code so far I consider myself the leader of the RainCatcher project. But I'm open to critcism, and I would listen to reasonable arguments in case I'm doing something wrong.

[edited by - izhbq412 on December 17, 2003 1:33:51 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
If you were unable to make a simple Pong clone(something that should easily take, at the most, a few hours if you have a simple framework already built)...why bother?

I took a look at your source for pong and all I saw was cookie cutter windows/directx tutorial code. Creating a window and initializing DirectX is easy. I could accomplish the same thing with just a few lines of SDL code. What''s difficult is structuring your game. If you couldn''t even produce a simple pong interface then I would advise against moving forward with another project until you are able to do so.

I would also suggest that you begin with SDL, http://www.libsdl.org. It will simplify your project greatly.

Dear Anonymous Poster,
when we started Pong we had no framework. We built one from scratch. We decided not to do Pong for the reason you mentioned - it was indeed badly structured. Now we''re working on a new game, RainCatcher, so please tell me my weak points in the design of RainCatcher. I''d be happy to hear them, and eventally correct them.
Best wishes,
izhbq412

I would be interested in a C++ programmer position. My e-mail is posted at the bottom, just take out the NOSPAM part. I know a decent ammount of C++, and have a small ammount of experience with DirectX 8.1 and OpenGL. I will download the file and be on soon!

Scott Simontis
e-mail:ageofscott@NOSPAM.comcast.net
AIM:ssimontis

Hey same happened to my group, i was also looking for a good hearted team to join, i know c++ much, inheritance, encapsulation, also linked lists and templates. Also know DX9 much, i made my own little 2d engine, and it works fine for me, i am willing to join, i also know Photoshop a bit, 3d studio max a bit,( i can render basic 3d chairs, tables and even swords and shields), i also know html and ASP a bit.

So i think you''ll love me. But please pardon me as i am going to the other city for three days after that, i''ll back on
Ok Bye & Wish you good luck.!!!

quote:
Original post by izhbq412
But I''m open to critcism, and I would listen to reasonable arguments in case I''m doing something wrong.

In that case my suggestions would be that you are more persistant and that you use better planning. Also, if you''re planning on reusing code from these games, I don''t recomend it. You get better each time you do something, and just using your old code over and over again won''t get you anywhere. I still think Direct3D is the worst tool for simple games like this the GDI is my choice, but if you''re determined to use this code in other larger projects, most people think that OpenGL is the easiest to use.

quote:
quote:
Original post by izhbq412
But I''m open to critcism, and I would listen to reasonable arguments in case I''m doing something wrong.

... I still think Direct3D is the worst tool for simple games like this the GDI is my choice, but if you''re determined to use this code in other larger projects, most people think that OpenGL is the easiest to use.

I really don''t see how you can say this considering you have no experience with Direct3D at all except for possibly having written a simple program with a triangle or something...

I think we''ll stay with DirectX. At the moment we have a working 2D rendering engine so I don''t see why we should change it. OpenGL may be easier but we''re doing pretty well with DirectX. You''re right we should put more attention on planning. I''ll do my best.

quote:
Original post by Bakingsoda36
I really don''t see how you can say this considering you have no experience with Direct3D at all except for possibly having written a simple program with a triangle or something...

Since when are you the almighty godlike master of my skills? I have considerable experience with Direct3D.

quote:
quote:
I really don't see how you can say this considering you have no experience with Direct3D at all except for possibly having written a simple program with a triangle or something...

Since when are you the almighty godlike master of my skills? I have considerable experience with Direct3D.

Hmm ok, I just remember you saying you tried Direct3D but it was too hard for you so you tried OpenGL(I thought that was what you said but I might be wrong). What, might I ask, has been the greatest thing you've done with it?

[edited by - Bakingsoda36 on December 19, 2003 1:18:38 AM]

quote:
hmm ok, I just remember you saying you tried Direct3D but it was too hard for you so you tried OpenGL. What, might I ask, has been the greatest thing you''ve done with it?

No, I didn''t say that I''m afraid. I do use OpenGL, but not because Direct3D was too hard. It''s because I''m interested in cross platform programs, and I''m not sure about what DirectX will do in the future. But since then I''ve learned quite a bit of Direct3D.

quote:
Ummm, so you still haven''t answered me with the greatest thing you''ve done with it. After that I will drop it.

Why, may I ask, do you even care? Anyway, as I said, I do my development with OpenGL and haven''t achieved particularly great things with Direct3D. But I have knowledge of how it works and am able to read and write code using it. If you still doubt me, that''s too bad, because, even though you do care, I don''t.

Besides, even if the only thing I''d ever done is make a textured triangle, the rest of what''s necessary to develop a game is unrelated to Direct3D anyway.