Reeeaally crap FPS...

Started by
14 comments, last by skullfire 20 years, 4 months ago
what does glGetString(GL_VENDOR) return?

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

Advertisement
I''ve never used DevC++, but try this.

Look through your gl libraries etc. You MAY be using the Software mode libraries.

The Software ones are the ones that are from SGI. They run slower overall (except vectors which run faster than hardware for some reason) than the ones that come with Borland.

The Borland ones are the Microsoft OpenGL Distribution (with Intel format libraries instead of the MSVC style libraries). You can get a fresh set from the opengl website somewhere.

Otherwise it could just be your program. Try moving your borland source code (the full engine) into devc++. That way you can accuratly benchmark them against each other. The DEV C++ version should be no more than 2 fps slower than the Borland version unless it is in software mode.

Oh if you can, (lets say that you aren''t using the VCL libraries - ist just a straight win32 or console app) make the project so that it can be compiled both by the dev c++ compiler and the borland one. That way you can use both compilers on the identical engine and see some more accurate comparisons. As I said before, they should be really similar.
Beer - the love catalystgood ol' homepage
First of all, thanks to every1 that has replied this post.
shadowbobble:
Polygon counts are not an issue, since its the same model I had on the old engine. Its about 600 polygons.
There are about 3 texures available. And finally, the resolution is 640 x 480... really small. Here, I'll post the rendering code:
void Draw (void){	glClear (GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);	glLoadIdentity ();	g_Scene.Render();	 	glFlush ();}...void CScene::Render(){	_Camera.Look();	for(unsigned int i=0;i<_Objects.Count();++i)		_Objects[i]->Render();}...void CModel::Render(){	glPushMatrix();	glTranslatef(_vPosition._x,_vPosition._y,_vPosition._z);	glCallList( _ID_DisplayList );	glPopMatrix();}...void CSprite::Render(){	float w = (float)(_Scale * _Texture->sizeX / 2);	float h = (float)(_Scale * _Texture->sizeY / 2);		glPushMatrix();		glTranslatef(_vPosition._x,_vPosition._y,_vPosition._z);		if( _DoBillboard ) 		BeginSphericalBillboard( _vPosition );		glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, _Texture->ID);	glBegin(GL_QUADS);				glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(-w,-h,	0);		glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f(-w, h, 0);		glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f( w, h, 0); 		glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f( w,-h,	0);	glEnd();		if( _DoBillboard ) 		EndBillboard();		glPopMatrix();}

code_evo & the_phantom: Well, I dont think so... the main initialization is made by nehegl. My initialization is just to load all properties from the scene. The 3DS(make it into a display list, then delete it), the textures, and 1 font.
NewSmyle: Yeah, I've checked loads of times.
Entz: Nope, haven't messed with the order of the things rendered. Basically cuz I have no render states other than enabling/disabling textures(which i think i havent even touched it in the code..). And no..im not creating the display lists everytime as you could see.
benjamin bunny: glGetString(GL_VENDOR) returns "Microsoft Corporation"
Dredge-Master: Well, I'm still trying to port the code from Borland to Dev, but I get some linker errors, I'll be sure to tell you the results when I can.
This is what's on the header of gl.h, could you check if its the same as in yours?
/* $Id: gl.h,v 1.2 2003/02/09 14:12:01 earnie Exp $ *//* * Mesa 3-D graphics library * Version:  4.0 **/... *   Modified this file to better fit a wider range of compilers, removed *   Mesa specific stuff,

In here, it says that the other stuff are on the extensions..but I guess thats for every1's version.. im gonna search for some headers and see the difference... How can I know if its the software version?
Thanks to all, please read before posting.

[edited by - skullfire on December 17, 2003 12:47:06 PM]

[edited by - skullfire on December 17, 2003 12:49:24 PM]
quote:benjamin bunny: glGetString(GL_VENDOR) returns "Microsoft Corporation"

That''s the one!
see, thats software rendering

*loves being right*
XDDDDDD!!!!
Yay! I reinstalled(before I read this, heheheh) the ATI drivers, and now, SMOOTH 36 FPS!!(don''t laugh at me, thats great in this PC). Thank you all!!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement