Can You Recommend Me Some 3D Editor Programs?

Started by
15 comments, last by Kingzoolerius666 20 years, 4 months ago
Hello, When I learn enough OpenGL I will be loading 3D models into my program as objects in my game. We all would like to do that? Loading the actual file into your code is learnable and possible but what about creating the actual 3D model file(.3d file or something). I know of some programs like Maya and such. But I''m almost positive that there are some good free 3D editors that I could probably download off the internet. Know any? ~~~ Signature: ~~ "Satan sent me to destroy the video game industry." - Trigger(my alter ego) "God is a game designer too and his game, ''Life'' " - Me "Squirrles make me horny." - Sean Randy Rowlen Uranus
~~~ Signature: ~~"Satan sent me to destroy the video game industry." - Trigger(my alter ego)"God is a game designer too and his game, 'Life' " - Me"Squirrles make me horny." - Sean Randy Rowlen Uranus
Advertisement
- blender (though i don''t like it)
- milkshape 3d (not free, but very cheap.. and it has a 30 day trial. this is what i use)
Maya is actually a free download (althoug you would have to accept watermarks).

Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives.

William James (1842 - 1910)
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
Are there watermarks on the actual files, or just the renderings?
End of Post
I like gMax. It is 3D Studio for gamers and it''s free.

The Maya personal learning edition is free. Any renderings will have a watermark. This watermark is not stored in the models so they will not show up in your game if you find a way to convert the models to a format you can use in your code. But since this is a personal learning edition, the EULA might prohibit you from using it on a commercial product.
- onebeer
What is a watermark?

~~~ Signature: ~~
"Satan sent me to destroy the video game industry." - Trigger(my alter ego)
"God is a game designer too and his game, ''Life'' " - Me
"Squirrles make me horny." - Sean Randy Rowlen Uranus
~~~ Signature: ~~"Satan sent me to destroy the video game industry." - Trigger(my alter ego)"God is a game designer too and his game, 'Life' " - Me"Squirrles make me horny." - Sean Randy Rowlen Uranus
Wings3D is good. The Maya learning edition puts watermarks on the renderings and the models are stored in a format that only Maya can read.

EDIT: A watermark is just an image placed on top of the rendering.

[edited by - coWsaRenOtevIl on December 16, 2003 11:36:17 PM]
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
gMax has a 30 day trial. So try Wings3D?

quote:Original post by Kingzoolerius666
gMax has a 30 day trial. So try Wings3D?

Nonesense, gMax is free. But Wings3D is very good.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
I don''t really want something that is super powerful, nor something that is super simple.

I need a program where I could design/draw my own level and design/draw a character in 3D. I want to be able to make a 3D duck(think about the Linux Penguin in 3D). Some 3D editors only allow you to make human models rather complicated ones(animals, aliens, etc.)

I want the program to also be able to export the artwork into various 3d data files, not just one or few.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement