Getting a mesh to display right

Started by
2 comments, last by Hog 20 years, 4 months ago
Hope someone can help with this? I have created a mesh in Anim8or, exported to .3ds then run thru conv3ds to convert to .x format. MeshView now opens and displays the mesh as it appeared in Anim8or so I know the conversion worked ok. I now have loaded the mesh into DirectX 9 using VB.NET and can view it OK. Problem is this. My mesh in Anim8or and viewed in MeshView appears with the nice smooth shiney colouring with a specular light. But when I view it thru my program the mesh appears in a solid non shiney colour. I can''t find out what I am doing wrong Any one familiar with VB.NET, C++.NET or C# that may have some pointers for me?
(Visual Basic .NET) www.elpuerco.co.uk
Advertisement
I''m sure that anim8tor and MeshView implement shaders and other rendering techniques that you simply haven''t coded into your program. Look up shaders and lighting in the articles section and I''m sure you''ll find something good. Also, a Direct3D book would probably help if you''re really serious about programming in Direct3d.
Thnx, I''ll look them up.

Oh and yes I have a DirextX programming book, .NET Game Programming with DirectX 9.0 but have not seen anything on shading in it yet!
(Visual Basic .NET) www.elpuerco.co.uk
Sounds to me like you need to set your materials to include a specular component.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement