Game Design Workshop: 52(54) component pieces

Started by
12 comments, last by superpig 20 years, 4 months ago

The point of my post was to describe a game so blatantly basic and well known that all readers would know I was joking. I also figured people would note my use of words like “leet” to see that I was not serious. I have failed at my attempt. I will have to practice this until it becomes a better skill. From now on I will make sure to mark all of my joking posts as j.k in standard HTML format. I am under the impression that this actually stands for “just kidding” but it will have to do under the present circumstances. I hope in the future readers pick up on this and exercise their sense of humor.

For ADHD readers: IT WAS A JOKE
Thank you.

[s]I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply.[/s]I am a signature anti-virus. Please use me to remove your signature virus.
Advertisement
OK I''ll call this game "lier!"

number of players: 2-6
Object of the game: eliminate all of your cards (or see drunken player rule)

Cards:
1-10 are value cards
J/Q/K/A are face cards
Joker = wild

- shuffle, hand out 7 cards to each player

- you can look at your own cards

- rest of deck goes to draw pile, face down

- place 1st card in the discard pile, face up

In clockwise order: (dealer last)

If the top discard card is face up, then the current player may choose one of the following options:

Option 1:
Discard a valid card, face up. Valid cards depend on the top card in the pile:
- value card: card played must not be a lower or equal value card
- face card: card played must not be a face card
- joker: play any card

If that was your last card, then YOU WIN.

Option 2:
Discard any card, face down. Tell the players what the card is (the card mentioned must be a valid card as described in option 1)

Option 3:
Draw 1 card and pass to the next player. (If there aren''t any, then you may shuffle all but the top discard into the draw pile)

If the top card is face down, then any player can call out "Liar!" if they don''t believe it. This must be done before the next player plays. A challenged card is turned over and if the player was lying then they must draw 5 cards. If they were telling the truth then the challenger must draw 3 cards.

Drunken player rule: If players are so bad at this that the draw deck + discard deck runs completely out of cards, then whoever was drawing the cards last is the WINNER!

OK I admit I have not even play-tested this in my mind, but there you have it
-solo (my site)
5010: OK; it sounds fairly similar to a game I''ve played called ''cheat.'' The face card/joker card rule is new though.

I really recommend playtesting it with a group of people. I''ve played mine against my brother a couple of times; ideally it should be played with more, because what he figured out the second time (something I''d overlooked) is that it''s pretty easy to just hold onto cards (i.e. don''t play any runs) until you''ve got huge runs (he ended up playing a run of 25 cards, giving him a score with 27 digits in it, compared to my score with 5 digits in it).

Evidently one of two things needs to be done; either, there needs to be something stopping players from just holding onto cards; or, the scoring system needs to be reworked (so that holding onto a large run doesn''t make your victory unchallengeble). At the moment the scoring system is factorial-based (the base score for a run of n cards is n!), and I''ve been looking at an additive system instead (n cards giving a score of 0.5n(n+1)).

Thermodynamics: When I read your first post, I suspected you might be an idiot. Having read your second post, I now know that to be the case. I don''t appreciate people screwing around with my threads in a failed attempt to be funny. Humour is fine, but you have not contributed to this thread in any constructive way. I''m sure you''ll fit right in over in the Lounge.

Richard "Superpig" Fine
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.
Enginuity1 | Enginuity2 | Enginuity3 | Enginuity4 | Enginuity5
ry. .ibu cy. .y''ybu. .abu ry. dy. "sy. .ubu py. .ebu ry. py. .ibu gy." fy. .ibu ny. .ebu
"Don''t document your code; code your documentation." -me
"I''m not a complete idiot; parts of me are missing." -}}i{{

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

I know this isn''t original, but I figured I''d cure your boredom. This is a game that some Arabic friends of mine taught me.

NAME UNKNOWN(should be called "Complete Bastard")
2-8 players
One or two decks at most
No Jokers

Dealer shuffles the deck and deals 4 cards on the table. He then deals 4 more cards to each of the other players. Each player takes 4 cards out of his deck for his Hand. The player to the left of the dealer goes first.

Player 1 picks one card out of his hand and throws it on the pile. If the card matches(by number) a card already on the pile, he has to pick both up. If a certain number of cards ADD UP to his card(face cards not included), he has to pick up every card that applies. If his card is a Jack(of any suit), then he has to pick up THE ENTIRE PILE. The next player takes his turn(throwing onto an empty pile if necessary). When all players'' hands are empty, 4 more cards are dealt to each(but not to the table). The game ends when the last of the cards are dealt(and it''s OK to deal less than 4 on the last turn), and players count the cards in their pile. The player with the least amount wins.

The idea behind this game is to be sneaky. Any moves are legal so long as no one catches them. Automatic forfeit if you are cought, however. You could possibly lay down a Jack onto another Jack without picking up the whole pile. You could save a certain card for last in the hopes that someone else will have to pick up the corresponding card before you do. There''s nothing more satisfying than seeing the player in front of you pick up a huge pile with a Jack and then slamming YOUR Jack down on an empty table.

Enjoy!

B. Bradley: The number 2 mind

www.numbermind.com(coming soon)
____________Numbermind StudiosCurrently in hibernation.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement