Getting started with APIs...

Started by
3 comments, last by Emonious 20 years, 4 months ago
A friend has asked me if I wish to help him with a game he is going to try to design, and while I have little experience if any, I''m hoping to change that before he gets started. He hasn''t decided if he is going to use directX or SDL, but either way I''m wondering how I would start learning about both, and if any of you have comments on either from past experience. It was actually SDL and OpenGL, and DirectX and something else ;P But I can''t remember Still learning C++ and kind of in a rut, so hoping that some real world use for the things I''m learning with API''s could prove enough to get my out of this hole. Thanks.
-----------------------------Naze ga muzukashi desu ka...
Advertisement
I don''t know very much about OpenGL or learning SDL but if you''re looking to do some DirectX programming the DirectX Documentation is a great source of information. It even has ~5 tutorials that come with it, although they progress rather quickly.

If you''re looking to make a 2d game of some sort this article on gamedev is a good resource.

You might consider looking into trying to learn something like winsock before jumping into something as complex as DirectX or OpenGL though. It''s not as visually appealing, but it''s still good practice, and you could probably have a little fun sending messages between computers.
It's time for a revolution I say! A revolution!
Where would I find the tutorials your talking about and the documentation? Microsoft''s site I assume, but that site is horrible to fish through if you might have the link bookmarked.

-----------------------------Naze ga muzukashi desu ka...
If you have the DirectX SDK installed it''s just the SDK help file. You can also try checking the sample browser that''s installed along with it. It should all be in a file called DirectX SDK C++ Documentation or something like that.
It's time for a revolution I say! A revolution!
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/directx9_c/directx/directx9cpp.asp

Managed DX is on the level before that.

- DarkNebula

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement