Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Making figures in games

This topic is 6356 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello again and thanks for good answers.. In my struggeling to make a simple game for child users, i must paint some good objects (cartoon style things -> cat , car, pinao ) I am very bad at this, so how do u folks solve this things ? I cant just paint a bmp can I ?? , I must make a object with arms , legs that can be moved. Then i could send mesages to the figure as "move arm up", or script it by a mother program after imported in a 2D/3D engine. What is the names of that programs/libraries that do this things? Instead of hiring an artist could I buy such graphics objects made by others(if they exsist) ?

quote:
Original post by Rolf

Hello again and thanks for good answers..

In my struggeling to make a simple game for child users, i must paint some good objects (cartoon style things -> cat , car, pinao )

I am very bad at this, so how do u folks solve this things ?

I cant just paint a bmp can I ?? , I must make a object with arms , legs that can be moved.
Then i could send mesages to the figure as "move arm up",
or script it by a mother program after imported in a 2D/3D engine.

What is the names of that programs/libraries that do this things?

There are a lot of programs on the market and the most wellknown
is 3-D Studio MAX. There is a special plugin for character generation called character studio. But this especially for 3
D environments. But there is also an interface to get a 2D
bitmap from it. A lot of todays games use it.

Instead of hiring an artist could I buy such graphics objects made by others(if they exsist) ?

Yes there are studios who do that, but I think is also very
expensive.

For the time beeing I would use the following approach:

Get some comics and books for kids. Scan the graphics and parts
from the comics and animate them.
Try to find someone who shares your idea who will do the real
grafx later on.

good luck.

Peter

Actually, (assuming your game is 2D) yes you can, and probably should just draw bitmaps. Then you draw a frame for each possible position of the character, just like a cartoon. There''s no "movable arm" per se, just different pictures with the arms in different positions. I think that''s how it''s almost always done.