Indie developers group

Started by
11 comments, last by cliffski 23 years, 9 months ago
Forgive my ignorance, but is there an organisation for independant games developers? I know GameDev is a great website, but I am thinking thats what is needed is some proper organisation for the developers that have completed projects and are seriously looking to get some sales, either in retail or through the web. I would really appreciate a mailing list growing up between like-minded developers, not an open list (that would tend to get flooded with newbies and people asking the sort of questions you get from gamedevs eveil ''anonymous posters'') but one that lets serious indie developers stay up to date with industry news concerning publishers, distributors, shareware, copy protection, web advertising, good registration schemes etc. Is there anything like this specific to games development) and if not, should we start one? http://www.positech.co.uk
Advertisement
Dunno if there is something like this. I am thinking about building up a small game development website anyway. Not something large. Just a place with some short articles.
Maybe someone wants to build it up with me? There could be a mailing list too, why not.

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

www.amadev.net is dedicated to independant game developers.
There is an independent game developers list maintained by Thatcher Ulrich. It''s quite well established, and has a number of well-known independent developers on it, so I don''t see much point in starting a new list. There is very little off-topic discussion happening.

As far as having a central website, I''ve talked to several people on that list who are interested in something like that. To the best of my knowledge, there aren''t any web sites out there that promote independent developers to the extent that is needed. Here at GDNet, we''ve always been extremely supportive of independent developers, and our DeveloperNET program features some of the finest, but since most of our audience is game developers, we don''t reach enough gamers to provide the kind of publicity independents need.

I''ve got a lot of ideas about what a site for independents should include, but I don''t have the time to put it together entirely by myself. Cliff, if you or others in the independent game dev community would like to put such a site together, get in touch with me. We can provide hosting, publicity, and anything else needed to get the site going.

In the meantime, check out the mailing list. You can get more information at http://tulrich.com/indie-gamedev-l/index.html
And you dont think AmaDev supports it to the fullest extent?
What more are you looking for...
I support the idea.
Thanks for that link Myopic Rhino. I am aware of at least one other indie developer that is interested in putting together such a a site. Its very true about GameDev being great for publicising game developers to other developers. What is needed is a site that dosent make any reference to the ''indie'' or ''amateur'' source of the games. Our games should stand on their own merits, just as good as those of many big publishers. I always make a point of not having things on my own site that would give away my small-indie-developer status. After all, from behind a website, gamers have no idea if you are an EA size megacorp, or two guys in a shed.

Nobody is in any way criticising Amadev, which is a fine site, its just that professional (but indie) developers probably benefit from mailing lists that tend to exclude newbie developers. I know this is a delicate topic, we were all newbies once etc, but often its helpfull for pro and semi-pro developers to have message forums that they know will always contain relevant and important information, and as a result always get read. No newbies should be insulted or annoyed by this, hopefully when they progress on to working as pro game developers they will look back at some of the newbie posts and realise how exasperated the pro developers can get.
Ive re-written this post a few times now, I''m trying to get accross the point that amadev is a good site, and that my suggestion shouldnt be taken as snobbish or critical.
I guess we will see!

http://www.positech.co.uk
Clifski,

Do you have experience with game publisher?
Was it good or bad experience?

Regards,

Richy

Something like G.O.D for Indie Developers?

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

Well said, Cliff.

Perhaps we should continue discussion of this over e-mail?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement