[java] Java + IDE = which one do you prefer?

Started by
33 comments, last by Alpha_ProgDes 20 years, 3 months ago
i was wondering what other people used and how useful they find their IDE to be. i tried to use JBuilder (Borland) but their registration is so convoluted i just stopped trying and said "bleh". right now i''m using or better to say getting to know JCreator. i randomly picked it but i''m glad i did. it very similar to the Visual C++ IDE so the learning curve is almost nil.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement
yeah, i used jcreator for a long time. its great and simple...i still use it for the default java viewer (since it loads quickly) for when i download code just to look at or something.

i use eclipse now, and i dont think i''ll turn back. its sooo full featured, you can basically do anything, right from the ide.

that''s also its downside...it takes me a long time to figure out how to do something new, and i feel like theres all this hidden stuff that could be so useful to me, but i dont even know it exists. small price to pay though.
Has to be Eclipse. Suddenly everything becomes easier. I even use it for C++ development now.

[teamonkey]
[teamonkey] [blog] [tinyminions]
Eclipse.
Eclipse. I can''t imagine using anything else now. The C/C++ plugin still requires a bit too much effort for my liking, but once it''s complete I''ll be using Eclipse for that as well.
I have not used Eclipse. If the learning curve is steep, does anyone know of a good tutorial on getting it up and running???

Glass_Knife
I think, therfore I am.
I think?

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
My Website: Indie Game Programming

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/indieprogram

My Book: http://amzn.com/1305076532

does Emacs count?
I like Visual Slick Edit (not free). Eclipse is good too.
Another vote for Eclipse.

Only drawback is there is no visual editor. I haven''t searched for one yet either, so there may be one out there.

First make it work, then make it fast. --Brian Kernighan

The problems of this world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men and women who can dream of things that never were. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy(35th US President)

Do not interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. - Napolean Bonaparte
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
Never used Eclipse, the most IDEs I tried didn''t support the right Java version, or fullscreen programs. So I''m currently using KWrite (Text editor for KDE (Linux))

KWrite is has some basic functions; code highlighting, auto indent and some more, nothing special. I would like to use an auto complete funtion and an easy class/function/variable browser I hope Eclipse support that, I''m gonna check it out now.

Wesley
Have a nice dayWesley

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement