Future of 3D Realism

Started by
17 comments, last by ByteMe95 23 years, 9 months ago
I''ve always wondered what will be the outcome of all this 3D programming. Every day there''s new hardware acceleration for something in 3D, making everything faster and nicer, and people seem to keeep coming up with new 3D shit to program that makes things look more realistic. So I was thinking, in the future, if we could process X amount of polys with every possible kind of lighting and very detailed textures, etc., and have it run smoothly, how close to reality could it possibly look like? I''m thinking of like picture quality, only in real time. I came across this site today, Max Payne , and it seems like the gfx they have in that game are the most advanced gfx I''ve ever seen before. I recommend you 3D buffs check it out, it impressed the shite out of me. Some of them look VERY realistic, it''s remarkeable. And that''s by today''s standards (kind of), so who knows what''s to come a few years down the road. Go check out that site and look at the gallery for some screen shots which they state were not retouched or anything, just straight out of the game. Lemme know what you think ByteMe95::~ByteMe95()
ByteMe95::~ByteMe95()My S(h)ite
Advertisement
take a look out the window. you know it''s as real as it''s going to get when it looks like that.

JoeMont001@aol.com www.polarisoft.n3.net
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
The creation of earth and even the universe we live in is a realistic game! Imagine how someone controls you with their remote control. Seems possible to me. There''s nothing that seems to be impossible to me!

-------------------------------------
That's just my 200 bucks!

..-=gLaDiAtOr=-..
Hehe, all very true

But seriously, will processor ever be fast enough to create environments on your computer screen that look like what you see out the window?

And even if computers are fast enough, is the way 3D graphics is programmed capable of doing something that realistic?

I think this MaxPayne thing is getting pretty close

ByteMe95::~ByteMe95()
ByteMe95::~ByteMe95()My S(h)ite
I had a look at their website, and all I can say is "VERY IMPRESSIVE!!" If those are real screenshots, and the gameplay is as good as the screenshots, then that''s going to be one hell of a game! Wish I could do something like that

-------------------------------------
That's just my 200 bucks' worth!

..-=gLaDiAtOr=-..
How far into the future? Eventually we''ll probably be able to plug in to 3D ''virtual'' worlds that can not be distinguished from reality. That will eventually be low tech as well. Hell, 500,000 years from now we''ll be considered cave men. Kind of wierd to think about though.

-BacksideSnap-
quote:Original post by ByteMe95

Hehe, all very true

But seriously, will processor ever be fast enough to create environments on your computer screen that look like what you see out the window?

And even if computers are fast enough, is the way 3D graphics is programmed capable of doing something that realistic?

I think this MaxPayne thing is getting pretty close

ByteMe95::~ByteMe95()

(Scrubbing hands with a bass voice) It only has to make you think that it''s real... once I... i mean, it gains access to your brain, all sorts of things are possible...

Actually, according to what I''ve heard they already have programs that can render realistic worlds realtime. Of course they only work on those 1000+ processor supercomputers, but hey! If we took one of our slow computers back in time 20 or 30 years it would be considered a supercomputer.

Besides there working on several new techs for going beyond the limits of silicon transitors they already have "Quantum Computers" that use hydrogen atoms for transistors. Of course they behave differently than transistors (acctually they really are not anything like transistors) but I dont know enough about it to explain it in more detail. Anyway they are WAY faster than the conventional processor and are WAY smaller, but they still have a ways to go. last I heard the biggest quantum processor had only 6 equivilant transistors which seems kinda small compared to the multi million transistors that are in our computers today, but they were actually able to use those 6 equivilant transistors to compute complex mathmatical problems way faster than a conventional processor could. They also have ideas for useing superconductors.

Anyway my guess is that in next few decades we might have real time radiosity/raytracing engines and probably no more polygons just NURBS! Man...that would be cool!
Hi.
Just wanna note that all the time you are the maxpayne game. I think that this w
What the hell can we get out of this imresions.
I offer to start discussing the nature of its engine & ...
I looked at the 3d realms site & can say that they don''t promote their MAXPAYNE
But again i''m coming into my thoughts.
Does anyone have a point to start maxpayne engine understanding? UR welcome...

Nail [Nail Studio]
Nail [Nail Studio]
It won''t be long at all. Remember computer speed is advancing at an exponential rate. According to Moore''s Law, and all the statistic out there, computer speed doubles every 12-18 months(every 15 months currently). And graphics accelerator speed doubles every 4-8 months(although this will slow down as we approach near photorealistic worlds).

Let me put that into perspective:

According to Moore''s law:
Average CPU speed in 12-15 years(based on 800Mhz): 819,000Mhz (819Ghz).
Average RAM in 10-15 years(based on 128Mb): 131Gb
Average HD in 10-15 years(based on 10Gb): 10,000Gb(20Tb)

Now if CPUs are advancing that fast, just take a guess how fast graphics cards will be by that time.
Note, these estimated specs are for an average family computer, not top of the range super-computer. The really poor out-of-date people will still be stuck with 150,000Mhz machines.

This doesn''t even take into account that we may come up with some amazing new technology that breaks Moore''s law, like quantum computers, molecular computers, biological computers etc. So you can consider it a ''conservative estimate''.

Needless to say, photorealistic graphics running in massive worlds with no hacks like BSP or portals(for speed) will be a piece of cake to do far before the dates given above.

We may also get lucky, and they might figure out how to create a decent VR headset, then we''re off!

Bearing this in mind, Murphys law will come into play here. Hence even with these super-fast computers, Windows will eat 70,000Mb of RAM, take up 300Gb of HD space, and take several minutes to load.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement