Starfield

Started by
8 comments, last by Saqib 23 years, 9 months ago
Hi, This message is to all OpenGL coders. If anyone of you has a good 3d starfield demo or sample(specially one like Space Wars) please reply to this message and also send a sample or file to my e-mail address biqas_98@hotmail.com. I am greatly in need for one as a side reference plz. Saqib
Advertisement
xyz
lil bit of matrix calcs that ogl woill do for you and render ahaead!
Saqib, I already showed you one way to do it. Once I get home I''ll show you how to do it using angles (cosine/sine) instead of 3D maths using a Z coordinate! I''ll be home in a couple hours. I''ll write another example for you to get the idea.

btw, I don''t know OpenGL so I can''t really help you with that!

I have a quick question for anyone that can help. Can anyone tell me exactly what I need to download, and do to be able to program in OpenGL with VC++ 6 (the whole setup process). Also, are there going to be any problems if I have both OpenGL and DirectX''s paths in the Directories options in VC? Last but not least, what is the difference between OpenGL and Glide? I thought that OpenGL was the only library there''s out there, but yesterday I read about Glide being a different subsystem or something of OpenGL. Can anyone explain please? Thank you so much!

-------------------------------------
That's just my 200 bucks' worth!

..-=gLaDiAtOr=-..
Hey Gladiator, to get OpenGL up and running is go to opengl.org (i think). Go to downloads, then click on developer downloads or something like that, then find the SDK, it''s only about half a meg. It''ll be an exe file. When you run it, it unpacks gl.h, opengl32.lib, glu.h, glu32.lib, glaux.h, and glaux.lib into the same directory as the exe. Just move these into their own folder or whatever, then in VC++6, go to Tools->Options->Directories and add the opengl folder like with DirectX. Then in each project (just like DirectX), go to Project->Settings->Link and add OpenGL32.lib, GLu32.lib, and GLaux.lib. And then of course at the beginning of your code do your #include''s for gl.h, glu.h, and glaux.h. Hope that helps.
defnder at
http://members.xoom.com/myBollux/home.html
its not great actually its downright orrible
Saqib my ICQ# changed to: 82297101
lost my contact list
The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his . . -General MacArthur
Thanks BitBlt!

So what''s the difference between OpenGL, Glide, and GLUT?!?!

Thanks in advance!

-------------------------------------------

..-=gLaDiAtOr=-..
Glide is a proprietary 3D API from 3Dfx, unsupported on anything else, OpenGL is a widely-supported set of 3D functions (and some 2D rasterizing ones), while GLUT is some kind of wrapper or extension to OpenGL.

By the way, if you have a 3D card (which about everybody except me has), don''t use the SDK''s dlls, or you probably won''t have 3D acceleration.

EL

----------------------------------------
"Inash neteia haeg joa kavari quilm..." SD4
----------------------------------------"Inash neteia haeg joa kavari quilm..." SD4
Once again thanks for the reply!

I don''t have a 3D card either.

btw, Can you use all three together in the same program? What do people usually use?

----------------------------------------------

..-=gLaDiAtOr=-..
You can mix GLUT and OpenGL (as GLUT is designed for OpenGL), but I wouln''t recommend at all using Glide and OpenGL at the same time... It would be absolutely useless anyway.

Glide is doomed to die. OpenGL is way to go.

EL

----------------------------------------
"Inash neteia haeg joa kavari quilm..." SD4
----------------------------------------"Inash neteia haeg joa kavari quilm..." SD4

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement