• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ghent

Your first game

This topic is 6544 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am a relatively new programmer brought into it by a interest in games. I was wondering, out of the people here who have started and followed through making a game if they could give me some tips on what to do. A couple questions i had were... -What got you started game programming? -What reasources allowed you to learn? -What was your first game? -How long did it take you to finish your first game? Any other generic advice would be appreciated. I have beginner''s knowlege of Visual Basic and C++. Thanks for any help!

Advertisement
Hey, thats pretty cool for a two week investment. If you could tell me what reasources you used to learn how to make that, i would appreaciate it greatly. Thanks!

I got started programming back in the late 80s (I can't believe it was so long ago) when my family bought an Apple IIgs, which was top-of-the-line back then. I think the machine and all the peripherals was something like $5000. Can you believe that? It had an external hard drive with a big bad 4MB of storage space, hahaha. Anyway, I messed around with Applesoft BASIC for a long time before I started really getting into it. My first game was a very simple shooter that used ASCII characters for graphics. I think it took about a week.

-Ironblayde
 Aeon Software

Edited by - Ironblayde on July 19, 2000 3:23:19 AM

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!