• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vertex Buffers? {Yes, No}

This topic is 6395 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My problem is that Myopic Rhino ran my contest entry on a Geforce DDR (I think DDR) with a 700 MHz Athlon and he said my contest entry ran at less than 10 frames per second. On MY computer which is a Viper 770 (TNT2 not Ultra) with an AMD K6-2 450 it ran at about 24 fps. He told me that he was using TnL. I suspect that it was slow because I simply used DrawPrimitive. Do I need vertex buffers to make it somewhat faster in TnL mode? ------------------------ Captured Reality

Advertisement
u doing someit like IIRC glEnable(GL_LINE_SMOOTH) this can cause a major slowdown with a geforce , antialisialing? enabled and all that crap

Guest Anonymous Poster
it was slow because it was in vb ;P
j/k.

I''m glad you''re just joking.

Anyhoo, I''m using DirectX. I have no clue what that is in OpenGL. FSAA isn''t selected by default and the Geforce 2 not 1 does FSAA.

------------------------
Captured Reality

Actually, even DrawPrimitive() uses the T&L, so it should have been faster on Rhino''s computer. It would most likely have been even faster with vertex buffers though. I suggest you try using vertex buffers and see what the difference is on your computer. I have no idea why it is slow on Rhino''s though, but I doubt it has to do with the DrawPrimitive() vs. DrawPrimitiveVB()

- WitchLord

Hi,
at the moment i am sittin on the fence with vertex buffers and vertex arrays on either side.i really dont know how much of a difference vertex buffers make.well if u r rendering only small subsets(no. of verts) from a huge array then vertex buffers do speeden it up.

Well I''m switching to vertex buffers anyway, but I''m not gonna update my contest entry. There''s gotta be something else then.

------------------------
Captured Reality

• Advertisement