Scripted Actions?

Started by
13 comments, last by Esap1 23 years, 9 months ago
I wanted to know how in Proffesional Games how they design a level so that when you walk by a door it opens. I know it is not Hard Coded. And like when you step on a platform it moves up. Or when you shoot a Monster it runs its dieing Animation. Could you explain to me how they do this. Have a Links to Any Tutorials, on either Scripting or this Subject. Thanks a lot for your time.
Advertisement
Could it be done if I write an overly Simplified version of something like UnrealScript. UnrealScript seems like it would fits those needs. Is that how they use UnrealScript? Any Tutorials on writing a Script Engine(Ive seen the one on Flipcode).
heh well its not exactly a tutorial but....

Adding Languages to Game Engines

its an artical about the development of COG ummmm it a scripting lang for Jedi: Dark Forces 2''s scripting lang... ummm I think it have links to scripting lang resources... I didn''t bother to check into it....

Great Milenko

Words Of Wisdom:
"Never Stick A Pretzel In Your Butt It Might Break Off In There."

http://www.crosswinds.net/~milenko
http://www.crosswinds.net/~pirotech

The Great Milenko"Don't stick a pretzel up your ass, it might get stuck in there.""Computer Programming is findding the right wrench to hammer in the correct screw."
I dont really understand When they compare Scripts to DLL''s. Whats contained in the DLL''s. And how can they do the same thing a script? thanks for the help(and the link), later,
PS: I know what a DLL is, just how do they use it in place of Scripts?
I''m definitely not an expert on this subject, but maybe they are putting each script command into a DLL, and then loading them when the engine starts up?

It wouldn''t be too hard to make a plug-in-like interface for the commands, and then just load all DLLs in that directory. I think the main problem with that idea would be speed...

- null_pointer
Sabre Multimedia
See, but when They talked about DLL vs. Script, a Pro for the DLL was speed, and a CON of Scripting was Speed, so I just dont know, Any one else have any input?
How does Quake3 do it, and why?
DLLs vs. scriptz:

DLL:

Fast caus'' it''s precompiled. No runtime scripting needed.

Script:

Slow caus'' it must be executed at runtime. In other words the program needs a routine just to "execute" the script, while a DLL just loads a single compiled routine to do the same function NOTE: less overhead- this is why runtime executed BASIC is no longer a viable computer OS

null_pointer wants to make a scripting language with DLL support for new features- this method won''t increase speed.

laxdigital.com
[email=ziggy@laxdigital.com]ziggy@laxdigital.com[/email]
Scripting languages can be better because although you lose some speed, properly set up scripting engines won''t crash your game if something goes wrong on your script. In general most scripting engines can run scripts without compiling making development somewhat easier and users don''t need to learn the host language in order to do the scripting. At the same time you can restrict which data can be accessed from the scripts (this may be an advantage or a disadvantage depending on your point of view).

Now as to the speed issue, this isn''t really as big a concern as one might think, some engines are actually very good as far as speed goes. Lua, for example, has very good execution speed and has been used in a number of Bioware products including MDK2 and the Infinity engine (used in Baldur''s gate and several other games).

DLL''s do have their place though, for things that must be called very quickly or have access to complex data types (STL commands are a good example), but for most scripting tasks, DLL''s are overkill.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement