• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gimp

Should I use a vector or a string or...

This topic is 6543 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I need to use a variable length array to store binary data AND strings of text. I''ve looked at string and vectors. Vectors seem the obvious choice like: typedef vector ByteArray ,however as easy as it would be to implement I also need the ability to -copy in text easily (Rather than looping to fill the ByteArray with [] -Copy a struct on top of it. ie, I have a bitfield struct that will form a message. In C I would have done this easily by just mallocing out a hunk of ram and copying the data right in with memcpy. How can I do this in a C++ kind of way? gimp

Advertisement
hmmm, so you want a single variable to contain any kind of data? Sounds like your talking about using void pointers (void*), but that''s not a very C++ way of going about things (since you asked).

If this is a message to be sent from one task to another, you might want to make a base class message, then derive each message type from that message.

But if you just want to go for raw storage, you can create a byte vector (vector<char> or vector<unsigned char>), then just use STL copy and have nasty casts all over the place:
struct MyStruct
{
int a;
char b;
double c;
} s;
copy ((char*) &s, (char*) &s + sizeof s, vec.begin ());

This would work, but you can see how very ugly and unintuitive (i.e. somebody reading this would say, "what the hell is he doing?!") this solution is. Try seeing if a class heirarchy will solve your problem instead.

store a vector of pairs.

eg:

std::vector< std::pair >

just replace the int with whatever you''re binary data is.

access example:

std::vector< std::pair<int, string> >::iterator IT;

for(IT = myVector.begin(); IT != myVector.end(); ++IT)
{
cout << IT->first << " : " << IT->second << endl;
}

i have some time on my hands, so i''ll show how to add to the vector too...

void foo(std::vector< std::pair<int, std::string> >& myVector,
int n,
std::string s)
{
//make a pair containing int value ''n'' and string ''s''

std::pair<int, std::string> thePair(n, s);

myVector.push_back(thePair);

//OR, for even less to type:
myVector.push_back(std::make_pair(n, s));

//note: that make_pair does not work for me - which is why i showed the other way first.

//if i''m doing the make_pair bit wrong - someone please correct me!

}

Thanks guys...

Here is a better explaination of what I''m doing. The core part of the game is driven by message queue''s. For example, when a new packet is recieved from the server it is unpacked in to a number of individual messages. Each message is represented by binary data, maybe a few bytes. Next from the command line, console, and config files I recieve text based messages like "map blackforest".

I have pluggable factories reading the queue and passing the data to each processing function. Now initially the obvious choice for storing the data was a unsigned char*, that allowed me to copy in the say 5 byte message or a 12 byte text message. My binary data didn''t get messed with as the char was unsigned, but character data was still validly represented. I could easily copy in the binary data from structs too or ditto with the text messages...

I was trying to be a good gimp and do it the c++ way but increasingly the C way looks easier...

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!