Aren't we sick of levels made of textured cubes?

Started by
5 comments, last by Magic Card 23 years, 8 months ago
I''ve played a lot of 3D games in my days. I''ve also noticed that a lot of the levels are just made with 3D blocks (Genesis 3D anyone?). I just got a program called World Construction Set which allows you to create realistic (very realistic) 3D environments. so far I''ve only noticed that Lucasarts uses this program, playing The Phantom Menace, Grim Fandango, and Jedi Power Battles. Why hasn''t anyone else used this? I''m using it for my game, by why haven''t companies like id Software, Sierra, and/or Epic Megagames used this instead of just making block after block per level? Yeah, I know, they may have never heard of it. But I doubt that seeing how it is a highly professional program, yet it can be used for kids too. What do you think? Top quality games don''t kick ass as well as these. Magic Card of DanAvision Software Entertainment, FOREVER!!! http://danavision.homestead.com Prepare to be blown away! ------------------------- Magic Card
-----------------------------A world destroyed, a myth rebord. Some truths should remain untold...Check out NightRise today, coming eventually from DanAvision Software Entertainment.http://www.danavisiongames.com
Advertisement
Maybe it''s just me missing something in your post, but you seem to be a real artist. Because there is a massive difference between what you call "textured blocks" and something rendered with the WCS (or Bryce, or Terragen, vistaPro, or any other ...).
REAL TIME. Yep, in the 3D games you played, you might have noticed that you could move all over the place without a problem, see from different perspectives, etc. The great thing is that it was real time rendered. While a picture in a Lucas Arts game is usually prerendered. Which means it looks cooler (cf Myst), but it doesn''t allow the samme degree of freedom.
WHY don''t game developpers all switch to prerendered artwork ?
Well, that''s a question for the Game Design forum ...isn''t it ?

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
I don''t think he means pre-rendered backgrounds. He means something more like Halo or Black and White (rounded terrain, not based on basic shapes like cubes, etc...)

Shrapnel Games
You have a problem, make your own game.

As Mr Cup always says,
''I pretend to work. They pretend to pay me.''
As Mr Cup always says,''I pretend to work. They pretend to pay me.''
Resident Evil have superb scenery. But this is not a real 3d.

And I don''t think that quake3 and unreal use only blocks.

-eng3d.softhome.net-
-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
Oh ! BTW
Final Fantasy is simply the best looking graphics I have seen in ... pfff ... And the whole game is just fabulously done. And the seamless transition between game and cinematic... did you notice you can still move your character even though the game is in a cinematic scene ?
The only game that ever made me think "Why not buy a playstation, after all". Well I didn''t. But I thought about it for a second. =)

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
magic card, this may not be the answer you were looking for, but it may have something to do with commercial software licencing. I'd also like to say that level editors are not working very hard at their jobs. Level editing is an unappreciated art that can make a terrible 3d engine look like a million bucks (and vice versa). If Level editors were to buckle down, we wouldnt be noticing all the mediocrities of certain 3d engines today, and after all the level editing that i've done in that last few years, i can surely attest to this. believe me - Genesis 3D can produce some beautiful levels even with the included level editor. - you just have to get textures and lighting effects right.

Also, in realtime 3D, engines have to do a rediculous amount of work. 1st person perspective games are always limited by a graphics VS. gameplay match. The rule of thumb is, the more beautiful the level, the smaller and slower it tends to be. - the # of brushes in a level file is also limited by most engines, so some detail must be sacrificed by the level editors to enure that the level file even gets vissed right. You also have to think about gameplay nowadays. In most 1st person shooters, a simple level layout is desirable because it allows for better multiplayer action.

"the stupider you make people think you are, the more surprised they will be when you kill them!" - Tom Sixbey

Edited by - fiascoman2000 on July 30, 2000 8:30:34 PM
"the stupider you make people think you are, the more surprised they will be when you kill them!" - Tom Sixbey

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement