Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

arwez

Blizzard's Diablo II and Starcraft REALLY?!??!

arwez    122
is it true that blizzard''s games use 640x480x8?!? If so how does it look so NICE?! Can anyone show me how to work with palettes to the point where they look that way? What does it mean to create my own shades and stuff I''m really confused about palettes, please explain.

SGreth    218
NO way they use palletes for Diablo II You''d be swapping palletes in and out of video memory constantly because something tells me they had more than 256 colors on the screen at once!
~S''Greth

Steven    136
Take a screen shot of D2 and count the number of colors used - it is alway less than 256 (this is when I was using the DirectDraw interface, not the Direct3D interface).

If you can find a screen shot with more than 256 colors please let me know about it.

If they are using only 256 color mode they maybe using some sort of 8 bpp Alpha blending (this is posible I''ve read an article about this)

In the Direct 3D section they are using more than 256 colors (I do not think Direct 3D can use 8bpp mode)

If you look at the game in DirectDraw you will also notice a FPS increase, and you will also see that they are using ISO tiles that are 32x15 pixels in size.

SGreth    218
Cool, I actually have never tried that and will definately take a look at it tonight, damn, must be nice to have a giant development team to code up two engines for a game
~S''Greth

DarkMage139    294
You could get a new comp.

- DarkMage139
++++++++++++++++
I can do things, things you never knew,
I can change your world if you only knew.

I can do miracles if you want me to.
Anything is possible, I'll prove it to you.

Bordem    122
I belive at least the menus were in 8bit becuase when d2 sometimes crashed on my computer my desktop was wrong colors, that usually happens when a app in 8 bit screws up, and d3d is 16 or 32 bit native I belive

Im Always Bored
--Bordem

DarkMage139    294
Actually, I''ve always been a Revenant fan myself...

- DarkMage139
++++++++++++++++
I can do things, things you never knew,
I can change your world if you only knew.

I can do miracles if you want me to.
Anything is possible, I'll prove it to you.

Joshua Schpok    122
It''s official Diablo II *is* 8-bit paletized. Internally and output. However, during rendering (lighting crazyness, etc.), images are lit in true high color _in memory_, and then quickly median cut down into a palette before displaying.

Oddball Software
http://zap.to/oddball

Bordem    122
I loved revenant except for the fact that I felt like I was beta testing it, it was Soooooo buggy

Im Always Bored
--Bordem

remo    122
i have had the same problem as SHilbert and I have a TNT2Ultra on a P3 600, with 128Mb... it''s not about the computer d2 is running on... but incidentally, quake2 textures are all in 256 color mode using the same palette...