Blizzard's Diablo II and Starcraft REALLY?!??!

Started by
13 comments, last by arwez 23 years, 9 months ago
is it true that blizzard''s games use 640x480x8?!? If so how does it look so NICE?! Can anyone show me how to work with palettes to the point where they look that way? What does it mean to create my own shades and stuff I''m really confused about palettes, please explain.
Advertisement
NO way they use palletes for Diablo II You''d be swapping palletes in and out of video memory constantly because something tells me they had more than 256 colors on the screen at once!
~S''Greth
"The difference between insanity and genius is measured only by success."~Bruce Feirstein
it''s true that they used 8bit modes in starcraft and
diablo but not anymore in diablo2
There is no spoon.
Take a screen shot of D2 and count the number of colors used - it is alway less than 256 (this is when I was using the DirectDraw interface, not the Direct3D interface).

If you can find a screen shot with more than 256 colors please let me know about it.

If they are using only 256 color mode they maybe using some sort of 8 bpp Alpha blending (this is posible I''ve read an article about this)

In the Direct 3D section they are using more than 256 colors (I do not think Direct 3D can use 8bpp mode)

If you look at the game in DirectDraw you will also notice a FPS increase, and you will also see that they are using ISO tiles that are 32x15 pixels in size.
When I find my code in tons of trouble,Friends and colleages come to me,Speaking words of wisdom:"Write in C."My Web Site
Cool, I actually have never tried that and will definately take a look at it tonight, damn, must be nice to have a giant development team to code up two engines for a game
~S''Greth
"The difference between insanity and genius is measured only by success."~Bruce Feirstein
There are three: DirectDraw, Direct 3D and Glide.
When I find my code in tons of trouble,Friends and colleages come to me,Speaking words of wisdom:"Write in C."My Web Site
Direct3D won''t work on my computer. It just gives me garbled images, like when you have a dusty SNES cartridge. You guys know how to fix this? I just got new drivers a little while ago...

lntakitopi@aol.com - http://www.geocities.com/guanajam
You could get a new comp.

- DarkMage139
++++++++++++++++
I can do things, things you never knew,
I can change your world if you only knew.

I can do miracles if you want me to.
Anything is possible, I'll prove it to you.
- DarkMage139
Try looking again for new drivers, i had the same problem too,
or you could get a new comp.
I belive at least the menus were in 8bit becuase when d2 sometimes crashed on my computer my desktop was wrong colors, that usually happens when a app in 8 bit screws up, and d3d is 16 or 32 bit native I belive

Im Always Bored
--Bordem
Im Always Bored--Bordem ICQ: 76947930

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement