Games on DVD

Started by
14 comments, last by Magic Card 23 years, 9 months ago
Did you know that there are DVD burners out? I''ve been thinking of putting my games on CD and DVD. Is this a good idea? Street Gang soon... Gamma Hunter later... DanAvision FOREVER! ----------------------- This message posted by: Magic Card
-----------------------------A world destroyed, a myth rebord. Some truths should remain untold...Check out NightRise today, coming eventually from DanAvision Software Entertainment.http://www.danavisiongames.com
Advertisement
I believe it''s a bit early to be putting things on DVD-ROMs for a few reasons:

1) The only DVD-ROM writer I''ve seen is $5,000 US! On top of that the media is around $40 per single-sided disc. You''ll be running in the red in no time this way.

2) Not eveyone has DVD-ROM drives, expecially those people buying pre-built systems. It''s even harder to find an affordable (sub-$2,000} laptop with DVD capabilities.

3) It''s probably overkill. Unless what you''re distributing fits on 7 or so CD-ROMs, a DVD-ROM is overkill. You might even want to give some enhanced features on a DVD to entice people into buying it. Remember when CD-ROMs first came out? Most game companies added more stuff to it, not just because they could, but so people would actually buy them.
Well Now,

I have seen DVD writers in the UK. for around £350. And disks for £29.

STVOY

Mega Moh Mine!!
quote:Original post by STVOY

Well Now,

I have seen DVD writers in the UK. for around £350. And disks for £29.

What type of DVDs do they write. DVD-RAMs or DVD-ROMs? The prices I''ve seen suggest DVD-RAM, which, unfortunately, are incompatible with DVD-ROM drives.

dvd-burners have been out a while. first they were about $3000 in the US. the actual dvd''s that can be burned on cost like $90. I think the prices are dropping though.

JoeMont001@aol.com www.polarisoft.n3.net
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
I have to agree with the overkill part. Is your game over 650 Megs? Even current games that don''t fit on a single CD choose to use multiple CDs rather then a DVD.

If your game it getting bigger then 650 Megs, I''d look into trying to cut some of that back if you can. Maybe compress some things.

E:cb woof!
E:cb woof!
In my experiance DVD drives tend to break alot, they really annoy people because you cant eject them when some stupid program is using it then theres the discs... People seem to fill the extra space with total crap and you can only use them in DVD drives, where as CDs can go in DVD and CD drives.

I think really the only advantages of the DVD are the amount of data you can store on them and the image quality with the rate it reads the data. I would only put a game on DVD if it was really huge like 1GB and if it had superb looking film/cutscene gfx.

In the end, its all up to you what you do.
I''ve got a DVD-ROM drive, but I use it only for movies and for reading CD-RW since they don''t work in all CD-ROM drives.
I didn''t know they were so expensive. I was just thinking since my game is going to be 7 CD''s, like you said SonicSilicon, I was thinking I''d be able to put it onto one DVD for a limited time. But now that you''ve all agreed that it''s about $4000, give or take a few k, I probably won''t do this. Thanks for your input.

Street Gang soon...
Gamma Hunter later...
DanAvision FOREVER!
-----------------------
This message posted by: Magic Card
-----------------------------A world destroyed, a myth rebord. Some truths should remain untold...Check out NightRise today, coming eventually from DanAvision Software Entertainment.http://www.danavisiongames.com
Eek! What are you making that''s going to need seven CD-ROMs?

Also, I was wondering if STVOY would give us an answer about whether those drives he saw were DVD-RAM or DVD-ROM.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement