Good IDE...

Started by
4 comments, last by NeRo 23 years, 9 months ago
What is the best (FREE) IDE you guys have seen? I use the JDK 1.2.2 to compile my programs, but jumping back and forth from notepad to a DOS prompt (or batch files). I have seen a few that support JDK, but they wanted $$$ and I have none.
|============================|| Things Smell VERY different|| to a midget in an elevator||============================|
Advertisement
Get the community edition of FORTE , its free. www.forte.com
Definitely go with Emacs + JDE

joeG
joeG
And by the way it will work on Win32 also.

joeG
joeG
How does Emacs work on a Win32 platform?
I thought it was UNIX only. Anyway, I have heard you can get emacs to do some crazy stuff but I don''t know how.
When I do use linux I usually use gnotepad+.
|============================|| Things Smell VERY different|| to a midget in an elevator||============================|
Well I heard a program or utility named CygWin that will let you run emacs on Win32. I haven''t bothered with it mainly because I have Linux on my laptop anyways and emacs worked fine right off the installation

As far as actually making it do ''crazy'' stuff I''m certain you can. It''s just that I''m still at the point where I know just enough about macros and regular expressions to be dangerous nothing more. I did buy a Lisp (emacs meta-languauge is based closely off of LISP) book to help me out with the syntax, but it would take a good amount of time (which I don''t have at the momement) to read through and understand.

I actually bought the book because I want to write a code-completion module for emacs someday. Would you believe there are no code-completion modules for emacs (oops I am supposed to be supporting emacs ) that are free. So, sometime in the future I might sit myself down and learn some Lisp syntax and then complete it for everyone''s benefit. Yeah right :-)

joeG

joeG

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement