Criminals

Started by
8 comments, last by Nazrix 23 years, 9 months ago
I was curious what you all think about game where if you do something illegal then the guards just start rushing at you. I'm talking about single-player games mostly. Like, in Daggerfall, if you pick a lock and fail a couple times, the guards come at you even if they were obviously too far to actually see you. (They didn't have telephones to call the police in the Middle Ages ) In my current game, there are guards that roam the cities. I think that guards coming at the player as soon as he/she does something wrong without even seeing the player is unrealistic. On the other hand, I only have 10 guards, and the chances of the guard running into the player are pretty slim. I was wondering if anyone has some ideas of a more realistic way of dealing with this. "The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom." --William Blake "The road of excess also just ends up making me tired because I'm too lazy" --Nazrix Edited by - Nazrix on 7/19/00 6:49:26 PM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Advertisement
In Baldur''s Gate, you could do as much illegal stuff as you wanted. The guards only got called if somebody saw you doing it. So if nobody is around you can break into a house and steal everything in it, but if the owner of the house sees you then he''d call the guards.

-RWarden (roberte@maui.net)
Yeah I guess that is the only other solution I can think of. It just seems like it would be too easy because in my game the NPCs are on schedules, and are gone most of the day. So, it would be pretty easy to break into their houses and steal everything. I would like there to be more risk than that, but realistic risk. Plus, the player would be performing crimes in broad daylight.

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom." --William Blake

"The road of excess also just ends up making me tired because I'm too lazy" --Nazrix

Edited by - Nazrix on July 19, 2000 8:08:16 PM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Well unless they all have burglar alarms in their homes, it''s also the most realistic solutions possible. To keep it balanced, if people have anything really valuable in their homes, you can come up with some kind of security system. I don''t know what setting your game takes place in, but this could range from a real electronic burglar alarm to a system based on traps you need to disarm/avoid.
The best system for keeping it balanced is making sure that the more valuable the rewards, the harder it is to break into the place. Better locks, more sophisticated security systems, maybe even a guard or two patrolling the place.

-RWarden (roberte@maui.net)
Simplest way:
give each home with anything valuable a guard dog, that starts barking whenever an unknown character is in sight. This barking alerts the guards, and hey presto, you have a medieval alarm system.

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
What if, only a guard or a person that sees you knows. But if they bump into another guard (or a guard in the case of a owner) then the info gets passed on and they also look for you?

-----------------------------------------------
All messages are of my own personal opinion and
not meant to offend. But if they do - tough :)

Neuro.
-----------------------------------------------All messages are of my own personal opinion and not meant to offend. But if they do - tough :)Neuro.
What you could do is set up a central event handler.
When the PCs are picking a lock, set a visual range on it and check your NPCs to see if some NPC sees the event. Set a circular range 1st and then do a LOS check for those who are in the circular range. You might want to set up a audio check as well.
For when the PCs are pounding a door open(rather than picking a lock)change the testing ranges on the visual and audio events to trigger the NPCs.

ZoomBoy
Developing a 2D RPG with skills, weapons, and adventure.
See my character editor, Tile editor, diary, 3D Art resources at
Check out my web-site

Thief

- DarkMage139
++++++++++++++++
I can do things, things you never knew,
I can change your world if you only knew.

I can do miracles if you want me to.
Anything is possible, I'll prove it to you.
- DarkMage139
Very good ideas... (especially DarkMage139 )

thanks everyone.

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom." --William Blake

"The road of excess also just ends up making me tired because I'm too lazy" --Nazrix

Edited by - Nazrix on July 20, 2000 5:49:23 PM
Yeah, I always figured Thief was the ultimate criminal game.

- DarkMage139
++++++++++++++++
I can do things, things you never knew,
I can change your world if you only knew.

I can do miracles if you want me to.
Anything is possible, I'll prove it to you.
- DarkMage139

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement