Coding a 3d car racing game

Started by
7 comments, last by gamesbond 20 years, 3 months ago
Hi there , I am a budding game programmer wanting to make a car racing game with reasonable physics. I have a working knowledge of c/c++ , opengl and 3d basics . I have developed a few oncomplete 2d games and a very basic 3d rendering engine (if u can call it that). I wanted to know whats the best place to start ????? Thanx for help Piyush edit : Dont worry abt the physics part , i am 3rd year mech. engg. student , so i know most of it. [edited by - gamesbond on January 1, 2004 11:49:56 AM]
On course to my first FPS engine , zoooooom
Advertisement
Best place to start would be to rig up a rigid body physics type deal. Something to allow you to put in blocks, attach springs to them, calculate forces based upon slipangles/slipratios, things of that nature.
if you''re a mech, code a multiple rigid-body physics system, with joints (all kinds), solving contacts accuratly, ect...

A decent collision system would be a start though. Or you can use the available ones.

Loads of docs on the web

Contact Physics

Academic documents on Citeseer

david barraff

David Eberly

if it is too complicated, or you can''t be bothered with those trivial matters (), you can use ODE Physics Library or Tokamak Physics Library and build your car racing simulator from there.

Everything is better with Metal.

I am in the process of making a 3d car racing game, what do you need to know exactly? are you comfortable with opengl?
the hardest part will be the physics, including proper collision detection.
Well , apart from physics , there are many things involved e.g terrain , maps etc abt which i have no idea , hence i wanted to know where could i get a starting pt for them with a racing game point of view.

thanx
If you wish to find code samples with the same applications that you're trying to achieve check out www.MathEngine.com. I hope that the fact that the code is in C would not be a hindrance to you.

[edited by - mathematix on January 2, 2004 9:16:39 AM]
Well mathengine.com doesnt open from my pc.
Anyways , let me explain what i need.
I want to know where to start making a 3d car game.
I mean where do i get info about the level maps used etc .
Is there any open source game which i can look at to start or any tutorials floating around ???

Racer

this is a superb oen source car racing engine. The best I''ve seen so far. Loads of support and fanboys around the web.

go to the technical documents sections (under docs), to get an idea how a racing game is designed.

Everything is better with Metal.

My suggestion is start small and build up on that. First programm a simple 3d car racing game without the physics. Hence, make a terrain engine suitable for your needs, make a car model and do a racing game without the physics while programming in such a way that adding them later on will be easy. That way you''ll have it easier for the stuff your not familiar with and you''ll know everything non physics is working.
I suggest, but this is always the way to go, programm very Object Oriented. That way adding something later will be easy.

-CProgrammer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement