Linux newbie: so many types of Linux, which is best?

Started by
10 comments, last by stevenmarky 23 years, 8 months ago
I''m thinking of getting Linux for my new PC but there are so many different types of Linux,e.g. Red Hat,Mandrake ect so I was wondering which was the most popular. Also becuase i''m a game developer I was wondering what compilers there are available for linux? DX++ The DirectX Programming Site
Advertisement
I''m sure there are as many opinions as there are versions of Linux. I too however am relatively new to Linux and found Mandrake to be very easy to set up and get into (it has a simple graphical install). Slackware is supposed to be the purists Linux though.

The Mandrake installation comes with gcc (gnu C++) which i found great. Also comes with an RPM for kdevelop (which seems to be an up and coming Visual Studio clone) that made the transition easy for me.
I should point out that DirectX doesn''t work with Linux so you''ll need to learn SDL and Mesa 3D for OpenGL (SDL is a package by Sam Lantiga (sp?) at Loki Games. www.lidsdl.org)

SDL handles sound, input, and 2D graphics and Mesa (although it handles 2D) is the only real option for 3D in Linux.
Planetes : SDL is at www.libsdl.org

Anyway, I believe that Mandrake 7.1 is the current best distribution.

BRY,
YA
If you want something easy to install, Red Hat is usually accepted as the easiest for that. It has a graphical installation, too.

On the compilers, you're more than likely going to be using the gnu compiler (cc). In linux, it's about the equivalent of Visual C++.

Edited by - ghem4 on July 22, 2000 4:38:01 PM
*start chanting*
Red Hat! Red Hat! Red Hat!

---

Hey, if it''s good enough for Linus Torvalds, it should be good enough for you...

- DarkMage139
++++++++++++++++
I can do things, things you never knew,
I can change your world if you only knew.

I can do miracles if you want me to.
Anything is possible, I'll prove it to you.
- DarkMage139
Last I heard, Linus used SuSE.

Give me YaST over Linuxconf *shudder* anyday.

=> Arfa <=
=> Arfa <=
Mandrake.
Debian!

*gdr*

---
ls -lR|rm -rf /
(Best compression everywhere. Kids, don''t try this as root.)

SuSE is one of the best that I''ve seen, yet at the moment due to having some sort of dumb problem that I can''t figure ( for some odd reason ), my cable modem doesn''t work when I install SuSE with DHCP Client and configure the Network card to use DHCP. can''t figure this one out. Anyhow, at the moment, I''m using mandrake and I have to say that I''m verry happy with it for the moment. Oh,there''s only one drawback, Cold Fusion doesn''t install on any of these two distros. Not sure why... It''s been compiled for Red Hat and Mandrake has a Red hat base. Weird kind of problem.... Anyhow, this is my prefered distro at the moment. Can''t wait though to get back to my good ol''SuSE...

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
DLC Multimedia
[Cyberdrek | ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement