GeoSphere

Started by
3 comments, last by Geron 23 years, 9 months ago
Can anyone here help me out with a problem of mine. In most 3D applications like 3D Studio, Milkshape 3D etc you can render something that is called GeoSpheres. My question is HOW THA HECK do you compute where all the vertex''s and stuff go? I want to be able to do this kind of spheres in a game im doing, but i have no idea how to make them.. Links, Algoritms and other info on how to accomplish this is welcome ! // Geron
//Geron ? ,,,__oOo_(O.O)_oOo__| | | | | | | | || | | | | | | | |
Advertisement
Geron,

I asked a simular question awhile ago and here is a thread that even shows some code of how to do what you are asking:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=19260&forum_id=10&Topic_Title=Texturing+a+Sphere&forum_title=DirectX/OpenGL/Glide/Genesis3D&M=True&S=True

I hope this helps!

Todd
Thanks for the URL Todd..
That was ALMOST what i was looking for.
The type of sphere i''m intrested in is called GeoSphere
it is constructet by triangles that (seems to) have equal
size. That URL describes how to do a "normal" sphere with
smaller polygons near the top/bottom.

http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/084/Spheres2.jpg
Its the red sphere i want to create, not the green one.

// Geron
//Geron ? ,,,__oOo_(O.O)_oOo__| | | | | | | | || | | | | | | | |
Hey I forgot how to do it exactly but I can give you a rough idea.. first of all I do not know what the sliced longitude latitude "Disco ball" sphere is called, anyone knows..?

To create a geo sphere, think of two prisms, upside down of each other.. (is that called a polyhedron?) then you subdivide each triangle face into 4 triangles. And normalize each vertex as you go.. I think if you keep doing this you''ll get a geo sphere of higher and higher res.

I like geo spheres better

quote:Original post by jho

Hey I forgot how to do it exactly but I can give you a rough idea.. first of all I do not know what the sliced longitude latitude "Disco ball" sphere is called, anyone knows..?

To create a geo sphere, think of two prisms, upside down of each other.. (is that called a polyhedron?) then you subdivide each triangle face into 4 triangles. And normalize each vertex as you go.. I think if you keep doing this you''ll get a geo sphere of higher and higher res.

I like geo spheres better

I''m not a programmer, but I can answer one of your questions. The "disco ball" as you put it, is called an L-sphere. Geo-sphere''s are used more in games and such because of their lower poly count.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement