sheap 3D engine

Started by
9 comments, last by Rolf 23 years, 9 months ago
I am looking for a free or cheap 3D engine, but no lisence paying for every copy i sell. I''ve looked at OpenGL, it seemed ok but very low level programmed, for my needs. Im not sure what that lisence thing means to me , when i start to sell copies of my game.
c/c++/Java/Delphi/VB
Advertisement
genisis 3d

JoeMont001@aol.com www.polarisoft.n3.net
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
Genesis has open source ..

When I start selling copies of my game , what do that means to for my project ?
c/c++/Java/Delphi/VB
Crystalspace is also good and is platform independent. Genesis however has a full networked 3d shooter available with source for you to disassemble.
Chris Brodie

The Genesis 3D license is has similiarities to the LGPL. A brief reading looks like they''re saying you can use the engine in a product and sell the product, but if you modify/extend the Genesis 3D engine itself, you have to release the source code to the changes you made. I imagine this would probably not be a problem, and they seem like they would be amenable to other arrangements if you''re willing to pay. I would highly recommend you send them you''re questions if you''re serious about making something to sell(if not, don''t bother)This is the license, so have at it.

If you find something under the GPL, don''t bother asking. The whole point of the GPL is to keep you from taking the source code and making a closed source propietary version to sell.

The BSD license is the opposite, you can do whatever as long as you acknowledge the people whose code you used. Hope this helps.

Yep, the concept is that if you don''t pay the license fee you have to (a) let the Genesis3D logo play at the start of your game; (b) put the G3D logo on your box; (c) release any changes to the engine, world editor, etc. you made in order to create your game. Your AI, network, effects, etc. primary game code can be proprietary, closed, unavailable, and generally Locked Up (unlike the GPL).

There''s a pretty decent sized community of G3D users, lots of example code, several gameshells, and support for several modellers. If you want to write a game but don''t feel like investing 12 to 18 months in engine development it''s worth a look!

Full Disclosure: I''m a G3D user, engine modifier, and general G3D fan. It''s not the best, it''s not the fastest, but it has a good character animation system and better framerates than most other free or open engines - AND has TOOLS so you don''t have to hack together a model converter/exporter or map converter to get a level together.
Ive noticed that G3d and CS both seems to be geared toward FPS.. would either of them be good for a flight sim ?
~V''lion

I came, I saw, I got programmers block.
~V''lion
~V'lionBugle4d
When I used to frequent () the g3d forum it was a common statement from newbies (to g3d) to say its geard towards FPS's. Its not true, you can make any styled game, as its just a graphics engine (ie, no scripting, AI, etc).

[edit]
But it probably wouldn't be great for a flight sim because as it comes it doesn't support terrain. Although there is someone working on terrain support for g3d. I don't know how well it works, so check it out ( I think it was written by Bobtree on the forum )
[/edit]

-----------------------------
-cow_in_the_well

http://cowswell.gda.ods.org/

"If it's stupid but works, it's not stupid" - Murphey's Law

Edited by - cow_in_the_well on July 21, 2000 3:56:24 AM

- Thomas Cowellwebsite | journal | engine video

Ups I wrote -> Sheap 3D engine

sheap engine for my sheap games.

(I improve my english, promise)
c/c++/Java/Delphi/VB
Morfit

- DarkMage139
++++++++++++++++
I can do things, things you never knew,
I can change your world if you only knew.

I can do miracles if you want me to.
Anything is possible, I'll prove it to you.
- DarkMage139

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement