Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thamas

Is RakNet any good?

Thamas    122
Hi, I study Computer Science and starting in februari we''ll be doing a Software Project for about half a year. The project will involve prototyping a multiplayer game. No-one on my team has any real experience with network programming (onlysome theoretical stuff like election algos and stuff for Distributed Programming). The assignment states that reusing existing technology is concidered be a good thing, so I was looking around for a nice high-level networking library. RakNet seems nice, but since we don''t have hands-on experience, we aren''t really in a position to judge that. (And chosing a bad library can definately be worse than doing things yourself.) Does anyone have an opinion on RakNet, or have good experience with something else? Thanks in advance, Thamas

DJSnow    100
i haven''t used it for myself, but it seems that it''s very good, yes. apart from that: it would fit your needs perfectl - because it''s free for noncommercial use (ok, it was free for non-comm. use when i last visited the page of them, 6 month ago;maybe that they have changed this)
i haven''t looked at SDLnet until today - but this could also be a chance for you.

DJSnow
---
this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature

DJSnow    100
oh, and please compare the features of raknet to other networking libraries

DJSnow
---
this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature

a2ps    139
i dont know wich language are you using for your project, but if you're goin to use C++, i really advise you to use Netxx. it's an open source, multiplatform C++ library, extreamly powerful and really easy to use. the library constains several class's that work great and easy for both server and client applications. search it on google.

[edited by - a2ps on January 3, 2004 7:33:02 PM]