What is the best FREE C# IDE

Started by
12 comments, last by jeeky 20 years, 3 months ago
Notepad or something similar. I''m not being an ass. I personally use VS.NET 2003 and Whidbey and I''ve used SharpDevelop a bit. I''m sure you really do want a nice IDE for a good reason, but I''m just trying to make a point...

It''s a great idea for someone new to .NET or moving from another language to a .NET language to do as much as you can manually. Using the freely available .NET tools from the SDK (or Mono), compilers, debugger, etc. You''ll gain a very firm grasp of everything that''s going on. While I love Intellisense and code completion and various other nifty things, I''m much better off as I started not relying on those things. I manually explored the framework, I knew what Visual Studio was up to when I clicked Build, etc. Once you have the framework SDK, you have everything you *need* to do .NET development.

For rapid development, convenience, and enjoyment Visual Studio and the like are great, but don''t let them be a crutch.
Advertisement
You could try Borland C# Builder.

Personally I hate the sonuvabitch, but it''s slightly better than SharpDevelop i think.

Still, get VS.NET if at all possible.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Just whore yourself out for a few days and buy VS.Net pro. seriously, the thing is godlike.

(I''ve been break-point debugging HLSL pixel shaders in it recently, which is a kick in the pants).
I''d recommend Borland C# Builder over #develop. In my experience with #develop it''s annoying to stuff to just disappear from the form designer as if it never existed and it doesn''t seem multi-user friendly. I have had to go through the code completiom database initialization several times even though I should be abel to just point to the Code Completion database I have already completed. It seem to need a lot of work when compared to BC# Builder.
If you missed a great moment in history don't worry, it'll repeat itself.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement