What is the best FREE C# IDE

Started by
12 comments, last by jeeky 20 years, 3 months ago
Hi All, The subject says it all . . . . Which FREE C# IDE do you like best?
Advertisement
I believe Eclipse has a C# plugin.
Emacs can also probably handle it.
KDevelop probably does too.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
i think there''s one called sharpdev thats apparently quite good. however investing in a copy of vs.net is always worth while, especially with student licenses being SO cheap now.
-jonnii=========jon@voodooextreme.comwww.voodooextreme.com
http://www.icsharpcode.net/

very good these days has most of the features you would need
The Professional version of Visual Studio .Net 2003 is free! At least Microsoft sent my school boxes of free academic version CDs and they were given to us. The academic version is actually a super-set of Professional - for the 2003 distribution.

If you''re a student at a university, you should check with your local CS department to see if they have any free copies lying around.

Zero dollars for a professional dev environment? Yep, that sounds like a good deal!

----------------------------------------
Let be be finale of seem, seems to me.
----------------------------------------

Coding:
http://www.stanford.edu/~jjshed/coding

Miscellany:
http://www.stanford.edu/~jjshed

Shedletsky's Bits: A Blog | ROBLOX | Twitter
Time held me green and dying
Though I sang in my chains like the sea...

Sharp Develop! There is no beta!

Check out my Forum
My First Space Art (Ever)
My Second Space Art (Ever)
My upcoming space mod for Battlefield: 1942.

Status: 25% Me and a friend are working on it, we are pretty much ready to release in game screenshots.
The Untitled RPG - |||||||||| 40%Free Music for your gamesOriginal post by capn_midnight 23yrold, is your ass burning from all the kissing it is recieving?
quote:Original post by Themonkster

SharpDevelop is a bag of arse. It is slow, there isn't a debugger, it crashes a lot of the time, when you add a file to your project it seems to go into whichever folder it likes, intellisense is broken and takes 10 seconds of hard-disk crunching to appear when it does work, the import other projects facility is broken, you're lucky if the text-selection works... and the list goes on.

All of those bugs / problems i noticed within 10 minutes of using it. Honestly, get Visual Studio if you can afford it, students can get it for like $100 USD. Frankly it's much better than any of the current free offerings.

[edited by - sark on January 4, 2004 3:08:08 PM]
quote:Original post by sark
quote:Original post by Themonkster

SharpDevelop is a bag of arse. It is slow, there isn''t a debugger, it crashes a lot of the time, when you add a file to your project it seems to go into whichever folder it likes, intellisense is broken and takes 10 seconds of hard-disk crunching to appear when it does work, the import other projects facility is broken, you''re lucky if the text-selection works... and the list goes on.

All of those bugs / problems i noticed within 10 minutes of using it. Honestly, get Visual Studio if you can afford it, students can get it for like $100 USD. Frankly it''s much better than any of the current free offerings.

[edited by - sark on January 4, 2004 3:08:08 PM]

You are really ignorant... Have u used version .98?

Check out my Forum
My First Space Art (Ever)
My Second Space Art (Ever)
My upcoming space mod for Battlefield: 1942.

Status: 25% Me and a friend are working on it, we are pretty much ready to release in game screenshots.
The Untitled RPG - |||||||||| 40%Free Music for your gamesOriginal post by capn_midnight 23yrold, is your ass burning from all the kissing it is recieving?
quote:Original post by maxd gaming

You are really ignorant... Have u used version .98?

Yup, 0.98 milestone.
quote:Original post by sark

Honestly, get Visual Studio if you can afford it, students can get it for like $100 USD. Frankly it''s much better than any of the current free offerings.

Well for 100 bucks it better be better!

--{You fight like a dairy farmer!}

--{You fight like a dairy farmer!}

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement