Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

global counters versus local

This topic is 5094 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am using static local variables for a number of counters in my game at the moment. I was wondering if using these or global variable counters was the most efficient way of coding. Is there any performnce issue ?? Thanks

For integers and other primitive types, globals and static local variables compile to essentially the same assembly code. So unless for some reason you really need global access for the counters, I''d keep them as static locals.

Is there any performnce issue ??

Your profiler should answer that question. You can''t learn without experimenting, you know.

Anyway, none that really matter: each time you call a function with a local static variable, the program checks whether it''s the first time you called the function, but since that happens only once, branch prediction should work nicely.

Fruny that check exists only for non-POD types or POD types with non-constant initializers (and sometimes not even then).

quote:
Original post by Ruudje
tip:
instead of int counter; use register int counter;

Compilers these days know when to use registers better than most programmers. (or so I''ve heard)

Not only is register a useless keyword on modern compilers, it can''t be applied to global variables or local static variables. If you try it you''ll get an illegal storage specifier error for the global, and probably a multiple storage specifier error for the static.