easy moddable game

Started by
7 comments, last by exepotes 20 years, 3 months ago
hi, i have this question you may answer: what is, in your opinion, the easiest game to develop mods for? i''m asking this because a friend of mine and myself would like to develop a simple (very simple) mod to learn something and see if, later, we can make something better. (we don''t need a very new game, ie: Unreal Tournament is not new, but it is good enough for us) background: i know C, Delphi and Python, and my friend knows Delphi. we will make the models, too, if necesary. my friend finds C difficult, so Quake II or III shouldn''t be an option (i believe). may be UT... i don''t know. hope you could help...
-----------------------------------------------------------Web Comic
Advertisement
If you like Java and Object Oriented Programming then go for the Unreal Series (it uses its own language, uscript, which is very similar to Java). If you like C++ then go for Half-Life. Half-Life uses its own SDK. Sadly, there aren't as many tutorials as I would like for either, but oh well.. As for tutorials though, UScript has Video tutorials at 3dbuzz.com/masteringunreal.com and half-life has valve-erc (or collective or whatever its called now). Half-Life is the easier one to mod provided that you know C++ though. Oh and if you decide to go with half-life, make sure to stay away from steam in the beginning.. It can be QUITE a headache.

Best of luck with whatever engine you decide to use.

Another one bites the dust.

[edited by - Hysteria on January 3, 2004 12:28:15 AM]
Look at some of the popular mods like Counterstrike for Half-life or Rocket Arena for Q3A. If you can''t use C then I guess you''re out of luck then.

You could also look into games that ship with excellent editors like Morrowind or Dungeon Siege. Those editors are very powerful and can do a lot.
Hmm.. truthfully, if you don''t want to do C++ or anything you could look into DarkBasic or into that program/suite for developing low end games.. umm.. whats it called again.... Anybody remember? I always think of gameSpace, but of course its not that... bleh.. I hate my memory.
OK, thank you very much for the answers, i will check some UT scripts and see... may be i can FORCE ) my friend to learn some C++/Java and make something with that...
call of duty is the easiest to make a mod in as it was designed so people could make mods by writing simple scripts.

look into it, the script launage is like &#106avascript.<br><br>I had a mod running in about 5 mins with it very easy to do.<br><br>
The Europa Series by Paradox is very easy to mod especially if you know C
If you decide on Half-Life, theres a crapload of tutorials and help over at www.thewavelength.net
oh, i didn''t saw your last answers!!, i will check those games (i don''t know them) and see. thank you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement